transporting film

Hello everyone. I've recently begun developing my own b&w film at home and bringing it to a

local lab for printing. The first role I brought them, I cut and put in neg pages. They asked

that, in the future, I bring them my film uncut, so that their machine may more easily deal

with it. They can use it if I cut it but it'll just cost a lot more. So, my question is, how do you

all get your film to the lab, uncut, without it collecting dust/scratches along the way? Thanks

for your responses and patience with a beginner.

P

They want the film in the long, uncut roll so they can shove it into their minilab scanner. Ask them to give you plastic sleeving so you can slide the film in. You need to snip off the corners of the leading edge of the film, so it slides in easily without catching: Ask the lab to show you how. Also, ask them for a few dozen twin-check labels, so you can ID each roll -- But you'll need to give them back the duplicate labels for their job envelopes.

If you have lots of film -- Like 5-10 rolls -- just take the film out of the dryer, roll it up, and put it in a sour cream or Ziploc container and snap the lid on. Again, twin-checks come in handy.

Since they are scanning to print, ask them to give you a CD or DVD with the image files on it, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel for reprints.

Cheers! Dan

Thanks Dan and Craig. I hope that soon I'll get access to BU's darkroom as I'm a student

there. I haven't been able to get in touch with the heads of the photo club here. I developed

4 rolls tonight (taken with a Leica/Summicron that my uncle gave me!) and I'll drop them off

in ziplock bags tomorrow to have contact sheets made. Hopefully, all will turn out well.

Thanks so much for your help.

Patrick