critique my new website?

amycary-hult

Hello everyone!

I changed my photography website...again. Please take a look if you have a

chance and let me know what you think of it. Comments, criticisms,

suggestions. I really don't know much about designing a website!

I do want to market myself more for portraits than for weddings in the future.

I still want to do some weddings, but I LOVE portraits, so that might be one

thing to consider as you are looking at it. Which photography does the site

best reflect? There are still some minor things I have to tweak (such as image

titles), but I don't want to do anymore work until I know I will keep the site

for sure.

Thanks for your help!

http://amycary.ifp3.com/

Hello Amy

Just had a look at your site and have a couple of comments:

It is easy to navigate around and well layed out, but I find that there is little variety in the images you show.

Grey text on Red background just does not work I found very dificult to read any text in the About, Prices or Contact pages and anyone who is red/green color blind will not see anything.

Are you going to title your images? as I find the default camera names DSC-1234 to be unproffessional, no title at all would be better.

The image of the girl on the home page I find soft almost out of focus, to me the first image in any website should be pin sharp to show your technical ability.

Yours

Nick

I made it just a little farther than Ryan. I gave up when the new window demanded a flash player.

Is it a wedding site? Generally, flash won't hurt you too badly in a wedding site (although the second window will). How badly it will hurt you will depend on the market in your area. You will lose business because it's the MOB who will frequently view the site, and they often don't have the fastest connections or most up to date computers.

For pretty much any other commercial photography site, flash is suicide.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I myself hate having to click on the link page to get to the main site. This is not a "from-scratch" website. The company has given me the templates to customize. And maybe I can figure a way around the link page, but I'm not sure. As for the image files, I do intend to go through and rename all of them. I am also trying to figure out how to get rid of the dark text backgrounds so the words are more legible.

Thanks again!

A couple of things:

1. I agree, get rid of the splash page.

2. I am not too fond of the box that comes up that says "Extreme Style? Extreme photos." I like the slogan, but maybe you could use it as a title or caption, instead of a box that pops up that I'll then have to close.

3. I would also get rid of the Menu button. One shouldn't have to click on a button and then on a pull-down menu to access "Home, Contact, About, Packages and Prices." Those should all just be individual buttons (or links). An idea: instead of having the slogan "Extreme Style? Extreme photos" pop up in the little window when you first enter the website, perhaps you could have your bio there on the first page instead. I think that would work better.

4. The light blue on gray is a bit hard to read.

5. As far as the images themselves go, I would maybe edit (take out) some images from your Modeling/Personal section of the gallery. Only show your very best images, even if that means displaying fewer of them.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Amy,

I also use IFP3 for my website. With a little work I am sure you will be pleased with your site. You may want to switch to template 5. It has more features than the one you are using. Take a look at my site. You may get a few ideas. Hope this helps.

Kelly

www.imagesbykelly.com