Surprise! S3 on 500C

hi all,

a while ago i've posted a question concerning a Megavision S3 back on a 500C. well, i've

got the gadget, including a really old Mac 7600, including all the paperwork for some 700

euros. and what a surprise! it not only works, but the results seem to be by far superior

compared to my expectations (i.e. using it as a inexpensive way to replace polas). i have

not yet figured out a way to have my G5 under OS X.4 communicate with this dinosaur, as

ethernet cannot read the 7600's discs. but an old SCSI CD burner will do for now.

especially for complicated flash setups it is a fast and easy way to try things out before

you start shooting film. what can be seen on the monitor the pix actually come out really

nice, maybe worth looking into a couple of prints. and although we'Re talking only 6 mp

here, the results are in no way comparabel to, let's say, a Nikon D100.

bummer, though, Megavision's page is sort of dormant, no new drivers available, although

there's one, supposedly, for OS 9, download not possible.

anybody out there using this tool and could share some light?

thanks

reinhard

hm, odd, my reply from this afternoon vanished ... ?

anyhow: david, i've uploaded 4 images for you. please go to:

http://www.monocrome.de/Temp.html

please keep in mind, that this is a first shot at the back, no tweaking. and also it's an old

(1999) 6MP back and not one of these zillion pixel things, which cost an fortune. but for 700

bucks it might be an alternative for some. not for me - right now - i still prefer my scaned

film images.

reinhard

I can't help you on the back but you should be able to link the 7600 to the G5. Have you enabled Appletalk in Tiger? Then you need to enable Appletalk over ethernet on the 7600 and you should be away. Of course, the usual caveat applies that your mileage may vary but it's worth a try. You may also find that the link will only work from one end or the other. Possibly the 7600 will be able to push or pull data when the G5 can't mount the 7600 as a server. It's astonishing what you can do with these old Macs - I've got a SE/30 rigged as a terminal into my Linux systems across ethernet.