Brand New Pentax 67ii Bodies for Sale Again?

jlkphoto

In the last few days, HK Supplies has had brand new 67ii bodies and kits for

sale again on the auction site.

Search for "pentax 67ii"

It says "5 available."

Does anyone know if this is a new Pentax production run or have they simply

acquired stock from some other dealer?

A related question: Does anyone reading know if Pentax is still manufacturing

lenses for the 67 system?

I just got an email from HK Supplies and they say "new arival" and seem to think Pentax has done a small production run of the 67ii.

I wonder if they are going to make more 75mm f/2.8 lenses or other lenses that seem to be out of stock everywhere?

Peter, the 67ii bodies have been unavailable for months.

I was told or read that the new laws in Europe banning lead solder have caused Pentax and others to discontinue a lot of items not considered worth the cost of re-engineering.

My local pro camera store, which dealt in Pentax 67 equipment, told me that Pentax no longer lists the 67 in their catalog....

That is why it seems really odd that suddenly 5 or 10 new cameras are available from Hong Kong via HK Supplies.

Pentax 67ii bodies and lenses are still being sold and, to my knowledge, still being produced in Japan.

They tend to only be sold in the very large stores but this has always been the case because of the cost. (Yodobashi Camera or Bic Camera)

One thing of interest is that the prices do seem to have gone up in the last few years, not the RRP, but the actual selling price. It used to be that lenses and bodies always sold at about 25% below the Japanese RRP (which is higher than the states I think) but now they have crept up so discounts are only around 10%.

Hope this helps

Chris Willson (Okinawa, Japan)

www.travel67.com

Chris, the 67II body as well as several popular lenses have been out of stock in the US for months.

Check B&H in New York, for example.

www.bhphotovideo.com

I hope you are right about production continuing. I do know for a fact that products containing lead-based solder can no longer legally be imported to Europe.

Do you happen to have a link to a Japanese seller of 67 equipment?

Here is a link to the Pentax 67ii at Bic Camera. You may have problems showing Japanese on your browswer however. Give it a go.

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/catalog/list.jsp?DISP_CATEGORY_ID=031040&PARENT_CATEGORY_ID=03&BACK_URL=camera/index.jsp&ssm=false&ADVICE_DISP_OFF_FLG=OFF&MAKER_NAME=%83%79%83%93%83%5E%83%62%83%4E%83%58

Chris

www.travel67.com

And here is the link for the Pentax 67ii at Yodobashi Camera

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/productslist/cat_13_6052998/6053143.html

I am pretty sure that you won't be able to buy them and then have them shipped to the US due to the lead (if that was the issue) But, it does give you a good reason to visit Japan and buy direct. It really is quite an interesting place.

Hope this helps,

Chris

www.travel67.com

Hi, Jeff,

As Chris and James suggested, Japanese dealers have been generally reluctant to ship the photographic equipment abroad way bofore the lead soldier is banned. Main reason is that there is no more merit to bother because they cannot make extra profit from the vast differences of currency exchange rate, which had been the case until mid- to late-eighties.

I haven't heard about the lead soldier issue, but recently a rep of Pentax confessed that Pentax had found difficulty in replacing its lens line-up with new lenses using lead-free glasses, which seems to be part of the reason for stock shortages of the lenses. FWIW, Pentax has never made any announcement of discontinuation of either 67 or 645 system.

Hope this would be of any help.

Tim, I heard that starting January, 2007, the state of California will , like Europe, no longer allow items containing lead to be sold or imported.

These no-lead laws are causing quite a problem for companies with inventory that can no longer be sold in some major markets!

So, what are the European yacht builders going to use for sailboat keels? Gold is heaver

than lead, silver is close, Palladium close too. Perhaps encapsulation will be accepted.

Then Pentax can enclose the cameras and lenses in a plastic over coating.

The bureaucrats do not, of course, explain how lead in solder is going the escape from the

innards of a camera body or out of the glass of lenses. Meanwhile massive environmental

damage from munitions is just fine - "stay the course".

A new study now predicts that the current rate of pollution in the seas will cause the

worldwide collapse of the food fish fisheries by mid-century. Must be all those folks

throwing their pre-lead ban lenses into the sea, huh? That is how the bureaucrat would

see the problem.

Cheers, Jim.

Glad you like the photos Angelo,

I use the Epson GT-X800 scanner (not sure what the US model name is)Works well but some magazines get images drum scanned when they are doing spreads or covers.

The lenses I use are the 35 fisheye, 45, 75 shift, 100 macro, 105, 165, 400. Mostly commonly I use the 165 for portraits and 45 for landscapes.

Normally I travel with the 35, 45, 105 and 165 in a LowePro dryzone 200 pack and a gitzo tripod.

Chris

www.travel67.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just went to B&H to order a second body, and indeed none are for sale, and there seems to

be none expected? I love my 67ll and find it a wonderful travel companion, so I guess I'll be

scouring EBay like evryone else to add maybe a few bodies to my kit.

Pentax do still list it as a part of their stock on the corporate homepage, so maybe they will

still make a few more?

I just went to B&H to order a second body, and indeed none are for sale, and there seems to

be none expected? I love my 67ll and find it a wonderful travel companion, so I guess I'll be

scouring EBay like evryone else to add maybe a few bodies to my kit.

Pentax do still list it as a part of their stock on the corporate homepage, so maybe they will

still make a few more?

• 2 weeks later...