camera clubs

ron_chapman2

Subject: Response to camera clubs

Pros:

Might have a more experienced person to learn from in the field. Might learn new techniques, approaches, and types of photography. Might find someone to share expenses with (driving to places.) Might find someone with a really nice lens you can borrow. :-)

Cons:

Might be full of hot dogs and prima donnas.

Might be more socially oriented than anything else.

Might not photo the subjects you really like.

Everyone else might think your shots are total crap.

Everyone WILL have a better camera than you do. :-)

Kent in SD

I teach photographers on week-long residential nature photography courses, many of whom belong to clubs. A lot of the work we do can be fairly 'creative' and is often pretty challenging. Many folk state flatly that they 'dont do that sort of shot' when confronted with a new technique such as moving the camera during exposure, creative blurs eg animals running, flowers moving in a breeze or whatever etc etc. When pressed on the reasons why they're not so keen on doing such work many people have stated that their photo club judges will criticise such images "for not being sharp" when they enter them in competitions.

Seems that too often the creative boundaries for many aspiring photographers are limited by the vision of their club colleagues. One woman I worked with last month had a wonderful time photographing running red deer in lovely light and obtained some superb images - a result of her hard work and perseverance. She told me she was going for a fellowship (wont name the group) but that she could not include any of the superb images she'd obtained because "the assessment panel have a dislike of anything thats not sharp. If I include any of these images my portfolio will be rejected and I'll fail". Hmmph! This prompted a prolonged rant from me, and a quick lesson on why blurred images can be sharp or unsharp, if we regard blur as being a consequence of movement (camera or subject), and sharpness being a different thing and a consequence of focus, so an image can blurred AND sharp at the same time. So, the lady asked me, "my judges are not very knowledgable then?". Yes, I agreed. But then she added that she was prepared to work within the restrictions placed on her because she really wanted the fellowship accolade.

Clubs can be excellent, but dont let their lack of vision, skill or perception limit your creative abilities. And to be fair I do have folk come on courses whose judges are obviously smoking something pretty inspiring because their effect on their colleagues is pretty astonishing and the work that results in such an atmosphere is a delight to see.

Dont assume all clubs are the same. You might find a great subject knowledge in many clubs but their willingness to explore new ways of portraying subjects will vary wildly.

As an aside we had a man with us on this last course who was in his mid-seventies, had just bought his first digital camera (still had the blue LCD protection on) and a new laptop that had not been switched on in earnest. He was up for anything we could throw at him and it was a joy to watch him 'discover' the delights and freedoms of digital, and being creative.

Bottom line? A good nature photo club will inspire and enthuse, guide and educate. A bad one will......do much less than that.

i belong to the hudson highlands photo work shop. the workshop has been around for about ten years, and has a controlling old guard board of governors, who are very learned in the subject, and willing to share, but do not seem open minded on the subject of presentation, and digital enhancement. they controll what images will be excepted for exhibit by the workshop.

the bottom line, i learn from them what they know about exposure factors, and other techniques, and seek other avenues, that aren,t inhibiting , to exhibit the kind of work i like to do.

Second on the "greybeard" attitude toward digital images of any sort - capture, scan or print, with or without enhancement. Digital photos are often allowed, but are lumped together in a special category - redux Alabama in the '50s. Life is too short to put up with this.

There are sure to be different personalities, preferences, and opinions when there are people. However, my photography has improved so much since I joined some 7-8 years ago that I cannot complain at all. There were anti-digital sentiments in my club in prior years but now this group has mellowed to acceptance of the digital evolution as inevitable. Judges' opinions differ as well, but I have not yet seen an exquisite image considered mediocre nor a lousy image considered top-notch. I enjoy being a member as it is also fun to bond with people who share the same passion, to mentor and be mentored. I was fortunate enough to have benefited from the friendship/mentorship of a top-notch photographer in my rooky years.

I've belonged to clubs of differing subjects, but one thing they all seem to have in common is that you'll have at least one member who wants to dominate everything, at least one member who thinks everything is crap, and one person who thinks they know everything. But - you'll also encounter some fine ppl you see eye to eye with, someone who can teach you to do X better than you thought you could, and at least one person who assures you you don't suck nearly as bad as you think you do <g> Give it a shot. As to it being *specifically* a nature photo club - "crowds" will scare away the wildlife, some may not be up to a hike and prefer sticking to well-known or easily reached locations - which would hold you back. And, alternatively - they may be the hang off the side of a cliff sort, and you're holding them back! But try it and see if it's a good fit, or ppl are interested, or you can maintain interest...

Face it, it is a club - it is a social animal. It is made up of artists - it will not be "practical", and technicians - who can be limited in vision. It is made up of people - who have egos and a need for power. Many times it reflects who you are since you will gravitate to those you are comfortable with or desire to be.

In general with a camera club your learning curve will be very steep, and dramatic. You can only learn quicker in a academic setting. It is a continual growth experience if embraced. Once at your creative peak inside this organization you will have to practice outside of the group to advance again. Being critiqued by a different club will bring about an entirely different learning program.

Clubs are wonderful. Are they for you? Attend a few meetings and see how you feel. They may teach you lots of things or you may be the leader. Yes, there will be "spats" within the group. Gonna happen, accept it. Thats life, not the club. There will be the leader, benevolent or not, accept it. If you don't like the atmosphere, get on the board of the club and change it.

Why would you consider joining a club? Determine the need an find a group that will deliver it.

• 2 weeks later...