Bibble and (what organizer?)

I'm wondering about Bibble users -- what other program are you using

to organize your images, PS Bridge? ACDSee? BreezeDownloader?

ThumbsPlus? I've been using ACDSee 4 for the past few years, and I'm

thinking of upgrading to (something) plus Bibble.

<p>What I like about ACDSee 4 is:

<br>Batch renaming

<br>Batch rotation

<br>"Contact sheet" creation + printing

<br>Slideshow-style viewing

<p>My main complaint about ACDSee 4 is that it's slow and has crashed

a few times. Now, version 4 is really old. If anyone is using v. 8,

please let me know how that's running for you.

<br>Thanks all,

<br>John

I've been using iView MediaPro for a couple of years now. Works very nicely, does everything

you mention as useful to you.

I use it in conjunction with Photoshop CS2 + Bridge + Camera Raw. iView MediaPro provides

different functionality from Bridge and I find the HTML it generates easier to use. Bridge is a

workflow tool, iView is a cataloger/Data Asset Management tool.

Godfrey

Picasa has certain strengths but I'd say it's more of a photo file *disorganizer*. It uses its own mysterious filing system that doesn't follow the conventions of most Windows compatible software.

For example, by default it lists all of your existing folders but gives no indication of where in the directory structure these folders are located. I don't know about other folks but I use subfolders, sub-subfolders and sub-sub-subfolders to compartmentalize my photo projects. Picasa defies this type of organization.

On the other hand this disregard for conventional file structure makes it quicker to navigate through hundreds of photos. So it's not necessarily a bad thing, just a quirk.

On the plus side, it's a decent quick and dirty tweaker, good enough to prep large images for web viewing. It can handle some basic batch processing. I use it to create self-running slideshows on CD for family and friends - it does this chore more simply than anything else I've tried. And it's free.

Another caveat: Picasa can be set to scour the entire hard drive for any compatible image file and will display thumbnails of all of them. If there are any photos on your computer that aren't hidden (various tricks for doing this), Picasa will ferret them out and display them for all the world to see. Depending on the preferences settings in Picasa and how your browser handles caching, that can include artistic nudes someone may have viewed on photo.net, but didn't realize every image viewed was cached on the hard drive. Important to know if you have kids or other privacy and security concerns.

• 2 months later...

Picasa....not to hijack the thread, but I just found out about Picasa today.....heh....amazing how much stuff is out there...but anyhow.....

....Lex, this sub/sub/sub folder thing in Picasa you mention. I also file like that. example would be drive E, folder named Pictures, folder named 20Dxxxxx8900, then actual raw/tiff/jpg files. I believe you are saying that Picasa would find those files and make thumbnails. Correct? But not allow back stepping thru the directory tree to get to the point where I know where it is exactly.....or is it that it doesn't give the whole string of folders/file in one long string.....E:/pictures/20dxxxx8900/pic.tif?.......or worse yet, niether of those.

Does Picasa make an actual database of these thumbnails?.....on the same drive as where the program is? if I have an external drive categorized by Picasa and the next time I go searching for pics, but I have that ext HD turned off........what happens? And, does it cross categorize different pics amonst all drives turned on?

I'm mainly interested in it's file organization capabilities and doubt if I'd ever use the editting. BUT I would like to get from Picasa thumbnail, to photoshop or RAW editor, get the editted version put back with it's unedetted version under the same folder and also have it show as part of the Picasa categorized thumbnails. So that I would know what files are RAW converted already, and what need to be.......and what step in editting I might be at which file I saved for later to finish up.......that also raises the question....does Picasa recognize PSD (photshop layers use) files?

The reason I ask all this is because I use to do all my archiving to CDs. When I bought a new system last November I developed a scheme of HD and DVD archiving........and am in the process of moving all those CDs to HDs/DVDx..........so, with ALL my pics being on a Hard Drive of some sort........I am now looking at image organizing software. Considering Picasa is free, I thought I'd look there first. Whatever, it has to be better than Windows!

• 1 month later...