Is this to distracting

elaine marie

Bogdan, have you seen the EXIF? Shallower then 2.8? what kind of photographers do you think we are? :) 150mm less then 2.8? go find that 200mm f1.8 ($6400 retail and now discontinued), maybe 135mm f2 might blurr a bit more, but then again, Elaine would need to crop more and originally would have more branches in the lens.

If anything I think a little gausian or lens blurr may help with blurring the guy behind.

Elane, I agree with others and think that the orange spots as well as the white in the bottom right corner are distracting.

Yes, Elaine, I find it very distracting - why is the bride kissing the minister while the groom looks on? =8^o

If your pictures lack something, maybe it's because there's too much in 'em, so get rid of some -- get closer!

CROP!

-- Peter Blaise, who would never even attend a wedding, let alone photograph one! ;-)

Elaine, sometimes you have to take the magic when it happens. Editorial recognition is

often as important as shooting is ... when things are happening spontaneously.

The anticipation of the kiss is powerful, and the emotion on her face is priceless ... rather

than the ubiquitous standard kiss shot ... which apparently you also have.

So, IMO this is neither a "tosser" nor unfixable. It can be cropped to strengthen the good

part, while a few brief minutes in PS can eliminate the remaining distractions.

Working on compressed jpeg here is less than ideal for showing what I mean, but with a

little imagination the possibilities can be envisioned ...<div>00IXgX-33118584.jpg.5500946183578c9892e4e375a27a236e.jpg</div>

"Bogdan, have you seen the EXIF? Shallower then 2.8? what kind of photographers do you think we are? :) 150mm less then 2.8? go find that 200mm f1.8 ($6400 retail and now discontinued), maybe 135mm f2 might blurr a bit more, but then again, Elaine would need to crop more and originally would have more branches in the lens.

If anything I think a little gausian or lens blurr may help with blurring the guy behind. "

Yes I did in fact look. Using a shallower DOF also means perhaps getting closer and using a shorter focal length... 175mm on a 20D = 280mm!!! Way too much DOF at that distance @2.8 as you can see! Or moving around as I was saying - if possible of course. Cluttered backgrounds are the biggest no-no IMO, and many times they CAN be avoided. Sure sometimes they can't and you do with what you have. Not sure if that is the case or not here. Elaine never commented.

And yeah you can take almost anything and crop to death and fix in Photoshop. That topic has been beaten to death. One has to decide if the picture is worth it or not. To me, I don't see anything special that would warrant any cropping. That's just my opinion. Tossing wasn't used in a bad way! I toss my own stuff all the time! I think editing is equally important to composition - knowing what to keep and work on/salvage and what's not worth spending time on. And IMO, this picture to me is not worth spending too much time looking how to fix it. That's all. While the emotion on her face may be "priceless", the emotion on his face ruins it for me.

Bogdan

The crop needs to have the "embrace"/her hands IMO - like Marc's crop, if you want to keep this picture. The other crop doesn't work for me - too tight. Her expression is nice but only goes with her hand, not without IMO. Still, like I said, the groom's expression ruins it for me.

If moving closer wasn't possible, then a vertical composition to get that guy out of the way and not crop later might have worked better. In that case zoom to 200mm if that's what it takes. Again, I don't know the situation.

Bogdan

"Great crop. I think the tilt made the crop."

No - the PS work did.."Editorial recognition" may be as important as shooting, but is PS manipulation? This is not journalism, so anything goes right? As long as the client is happy? Sure, but it's sad to see people focusing on how to "fix" it in PS rather than talk about the points I made.

Bogdan