Provia 400 or Sensia 200 for street photography?

Hi all,

I plan to start shooting again with film using my xpan and I'm seeking a

decent slide film for street photos. Has anyone had any experience in using

both the Sensia 200 or Provia 400 in terms of grain etc.

I'm not a big fan of grain for slide film but ISO 100 just isn't enough for an

Xpan to handhold unless the weather is absolutely pristine at all times. So

for versatility I need a higher ISO.

For B&W, I'll probably use Neopan 400 (as I read it is less grainy than Tri-X).

Any advice for slide?

Thanks in advance.

For lower light I recommend Fuji NPZ print film. I shot Provia 400F and NPZ on the stree and in cathedrals in Paris last month, and the range of detail you can keep with NPZ is just amazing. You can get the detail of the bright stained glass and also of the texture of the wood. With the slide film you have to choose between them as 400F has quite narrow latitude. NPZ's indoor colors were also about as bold as 400F and much easier to correct for color casts.

400F is a fine film, but the colors are noticably weaker than 100F, the grain is more pronounced and the latitude more limited. It depends what you're going to be doing with it, I suppose.

I posted a few 400F grain examples in a thread here last week for your reference.

Thanks for your comments so far.

I should mention that I am seeking slide film in particular because it scans so well. I have previously used Sensia 100, which I think is an underrated product, and love the way it scans using a Nikon scanner.

I am hoping to print as large as possible (x10) using the xpan and my photos tend to be more architectural (exteriors)and scenes with people in them rather than portraiture. Hence, lack of grain/ good resolution/sharpness is important.

I really only need an ISO of 200 to be able to work handheld. So, if I am to go the neg. film route, do I have film options for my purpose that scan well at a film speed slower than ISO 400 (in order to have less grain etc)?

For instance, would a consumer film such as Superia 200 or Fuji Pro 160C scan as well to achieve my objective?

Any additional comments appreciated.

Sensia 200 is really under appreciated. I think it does well in low light, if you have a steady

hand. Shot a bunch of the stuff in a low light bar at dusk, the grain and color were great.

Definately a contender for street photography...of course in wintertime your daylight hours

will be less, so if you want the extra hour then the Provia will be necessary.