Curious-- anyone here still earn profit w/slide shows...?

s. roche

Hi--

I just acquired a rather old book about the photography business

(1991-publishing year). I'm trying to gauge if any of the

information within this book could still be considered viable

business opportunities--or if most of the info is now obsolete (or

merely outdated).

Responses could be difference between my keeping the book and

putting it aside for future use, or donating it to the local

library. LOL!

One of the opportunities the author discusses are slide shows.

Does anyone here still create slideshows for clients?

LOL--I know, it's pretty old. The author hasn't written a more current edition. :(

Having read quite a bit on photo.net I was able to see that some of the areas the author speaks of (weddings, children's sports activities, etc.) are still applicable--as I found posters w/in the last year speaking about working in these areas.

With slide shows I wasn't able to determine if this was still viable based on the few posts I could find...

Thanks for your response--I appreciate it!

The slide show came along with the invention of Kodachrome in the mid '30s, and the home-grown slide show was born and became fairly popular by the time WWII started in late '41. It continued to flourish and even found its way into the commercial sector. With the invention of a practical color print film (Kodacolor), 35mm slide film went into slow decline, and by the time TV and digital photography became everyday facts of life, slide film was all but dead. Today, it has a small but devoted following. Yet, there are still things like overhead projectors where one can project even opaque copy satisfactorily, and even to fairly large audiences, but just where you'd find a market for this service is beyond me.

I think it's safe to say that that particular business opportunity no longer exists in the corporate world... I reckon it was already marginal back in 1991, and I'd wager that it was all but gone by the mid 1990's. Ten years on from that, it really seems inconceivable. Mind you, I'd be happy & interested to be proven wrong on that, having a bit of a softspot for preserving older ways of doing things, as I do!

I know this isn't really answering your question, but what with slideshows...<br><br>

I still have to see a computer "slide show" that manages to reproduce the range of colours, sharpness and colour accuracy when "projected" large, what with issues like colour management between all devices (not to mention the projector itself!)<br><br>

Makes me drool thinking of my reaction the first time I bought myself a projector and ended up projecting my slides... sigh! Those were the days, my friend... we thought they'd never end...<br><br>

<a href="http://www.nevillebulsara.com">Neville Bulsara</a><br>

Travel and documentary photography

Hi Art H. It's a shame slide film went into decline... I appreciate your sharing some of it's history here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Kai G.--I'd have to agree with you. A friend that was once did a lot of this work, cracked up laughing when I read them this part of the book. LOL!

The author of this book seems to have been a bit stubborn, that even in 1991 he was reluctant to embrace newer technology.

The opening paragraph of the chapter on slide shows,

"Don't ever think of slide shows as being obsolete. Despite the advent of video cameras with their "instant movies," there is now and always will be a place for slide shows." LOL!

Which isn't to say he hadn't found a dedicated following for such work...just interesting he refused to accept that eventually it may be overshadowed by changes in technology.

If you're interested in his specifics--let me know, I'll share them. Though, it's tough to conceive that he managed to find business even in the 90's with this... But I can understand having a soft-spot for preserving some of the older ways of doing things. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Neville B.-- I agree that the slide shows with projectors were truly beautiful! Vibrant, sharp colors--truly gorgeous! It's sad that the computer slide shows really can't replicate the best aspects of those...

It's obvious in the way the author has written his book, that he got wind of the tecnhology, but still felt it would have no affect on what he was doing... Makes me feel badly for him--those must have been exciting times.

"I still have to see a computer "slide show" that manages to reproduce the range of colours, sharpness and colour accuracy when "projected" large, what with issues like colour management between all devices (not to mention the projector itself!)"

How much does all that cost?

<i>How much does all that cost?</i><br><br>

If you're refering to stuff needed to project true slides (and everything that goes into it):<br><br>

Around $8 per roll of Velvia (35mm), $6 for developing and mounting. Projector is a one time investment, cost me around $250 for the one I'd bought.<br><br>

<a href="http://www.nevillebulsara.com">Neville Bulsara</a><br>

Travel and documentary photography

If you have the appropriate venue and material, you can still charge entrance tickets for slide shows. In fact, my wife and I bought such tickets in Anchorage four years ago for a show about the Northern Lights. Some photographers used to supplement their income nicely by doing slide shows at ski resorts.

<a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/">Terra Galleria Photography</a>.