Contax T3 & Zeiss Ikon

I have T3.Most of the time i use 400asa print film(kodak uc or fuji

nph).Recently i start to use slide film with 100asa and the slide looks a bit

dark.as i understand 100asa film is not for P&S cameras(even not fast enough

for T3).

I`m thinking to buy New Zeiss Ikon.I wonder Zeiss Ikon will be faster then T3?

And is there anyone who use Zeiss Ikon?If yes what do you think about it?And

what lens?

Thanks

irfi

Hello,

I guess, you are not talking about a CONTAX T3? There was a YASHICA T3! With the YASHICA T3, I would agree, the lens was not as good for colour slides! The YASHICA T4, has a better lens and was suitable for colour slides. The ZEISS IKON camera is a different "house number"! This excellent range finder camera has a system of perfect ZEISS glasses! If you can spent the money, do it!

I don't think it's a question of whether the T3 or Zeiss Ikon is fast enough for slide film. I

would guess that the automatic exposure system on the T3 has been 'fooled' and therefore

underexposed your film.

Your colour negative films have more latitude than slide and can cope with the vagaries of

AE. The only way around the problem, when using the T3, is to use the exposure

compensation facility when you think that the camera's meter has mis-read the situation.

The Zeiss Ikon is not a fixed lens camera...it is a rangefinder. Do you mean speed as lens

speed or as speed of operation? Lens speed will depend on the lens you choose for it (you

can get all the way to f/1 with the Leica noctilux which will fit on the camera). As for speed of

operation...have you ever used a Leica? Because the speed of operation is basically the same.

It is a totally different style of camera than a point and shoot, so they don't really compare

that well.

If the T3 has a 35 2.8, aperture 2.8 should be absolutely "fast" enough for slides in daylight. The speed of the top shutter shouldn't be an issue either because with iso 100 slides, it could shoot 1/100th at f11 or so. I would think it would be a perfect reasonably high quality camera for take-anyhwhere slide photography. Like Andrew said, its got to be the metering. If the T3 will show you its chosen aperture and shutter speed, you should check it against a hand held meter or your or a friend's other camera meter.

This is about the T3's predecessor, the T2. It has the Carl Zeiss Sonnar 38mm f2.8 fixed length lens.

When used with ISO 64 or 100 Kodak slide film, it produces simply amazing results. I never, ever had to adjust for slide film - at least not with Kodak.

I'll wager that the T3 lens design will perform likewise.

Bob in Seattle

• 3 weeks later...
Unless yours is defective. I just shot some Fuji Sensia 400 with my T3 and the entire roll is well exposed. With slide film you'll have to think more about what to expose for in the frame since you don't have the latitude of negative film, but the camera is exposing with the same algorithm regardless of the type of film you're using.