ZM 50mm Planar Sample pics + bokeh comparison with 75 lux

shoebox

Hi,

I ran a roll with my new 50mm planar today. They're not great pictures but I found that the

lens is amazingly sharp.

I also made similar test shots with my old (and no longer own) 75mm lux. Turns out the

bokeh of the 75 lux is generally better, but the bokeh of the 50 planar is not bad,

especially at the closest focus (0.7m).

These are all crappy lens test and is just for fun. Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawj/sets/72057594075088449

Also, if you like my pictures, can you visit my blog too? I just added a ClustrMap on my

blog and I need your help to fill up my map! It's silly but everytime you click on my blog, a

dot will be added to the map indicating where you're from. Kinda cool.

http://jphotoblog.blogspot.com/

Thx.

Jeff

Jeff, maybe what you just said about the lighting accounts for it but the Planar pictures convey aggressive sharpness, quickly falling off to formless mush; whereas the 'lux is smooth, rich, progressive and satisfying, - in fact, just like that good Ausi wine.

Adrian

I'm not a wine wine expert but aussie wine is good.

I just randomly pick something to photographs when I got the 75 lux. Otherwise I won't

use Delta 3200 because that was the only film that I had at the time.

They were originally test shots for myself... and the toilet paper allows me to see details in

the highlights. Ugly but works.

I'm a bit dissapointed with the out of focus area too. I'll use this lens more to comment on

it.

__

This is not really a criticism but how do you " find that the lens is amazingly sharp" ? To me all lenses are amazingly sharp as visual sharpness depends on the size of the image and the viewing distance. I've a picture 3.5"x 2.5" taken with my Dad's old Brownie Box which looks very sharp at 3 feet

Sorry, I left off a bit of the text. - I have a 1939 Ikoflex with 2.8 Tessar which at any size print up to my maximum printing size of 12 x 16 is just as sharp as my Rollei 2.8F with Zeiss 80mm Planar. I am sure however that if I had to crop hard the Rollei would be better but I hardly crop more than say 10%