Bronica SQ-A v SQ-B

german

Hi,

what are the differences between a Bronica SQ-A and a Bronica SQ-B?

why do a lot of people recommend the SQ-A over the SQ-B? (I did not

know the "B"s existed until today.) (I checked on the forum but

could not found the post(s)).

Please advise.

Best,

G. Silva

The SQ-B is a low end model that lacks some of the features of the SQ-A and SQ-Ai. The major difference is that you cannot use a metered prism with the SQ-B. While you can mount the prism, the meter will not work because there is no electrical connections with the body.

The backs and 80mm lens sold with the SQ-B kit are also decontented to lower the price. The 80mm PS-B lens has no "T" mode switch for long exposures and the back has no ISO dial since the ISO setting is only used in conjunction with a metered prism.

Considering that there isn't a huge difference in price, I think the SQ-A is the better buy, since you can add capabilities later as you need. If you know that you're never ever going to want a metered prism, though, the SQ-B works fine.

I have a SQ-Ai and a SQ-B. I bought the latter because I use a hand-held meter all the time and because I got a virtually unused kit for about half the price a similar condition SA-Ai would have cost. Logically thats the same image quality, and 95% of the capability, for half the price. Most of the differences in features are not terribly relevant -to me. One thing that maybe needs expanding on is that the SQ-B not only doesn't have a T setting on the lenses, but doesn't have a B shutter speed either. Exposures longer than 8 seconds will be a real problem, so if you do night photography, or long exposures to blur water-----.

I'm pretty sure the detachable motor drive only works with the SQ-Ai. During the SQ-A era, Bronica had the SQ-AM, a body with an integral motor drive that was absolutely enourmous (not that the SQ-Ai motor is light or anything).

The SQ-Ai with the metered prism and the motor drive is a nice combination. It handles like much like a 35mm camera, but it is a heavy beast to carry around all day.

• 1 month later...
I started with the SQ-Ai, but I found that its covers are mainly plastic and It got broke easily, also it developed an internal rattle that I could not get to! I now use SQ-A which is more sturdy, I some times use the WLF for low level composition but find the AE prism indispensible. Yes there are times when I only carry the Mamiya 7, and times when I use the 1DS2, but I keep coming back to the SQ-A.

• 4 years later...

<p>@Dave Henderson</p>

<p>Great point: "Logically thats the same image quality, and 95% of the capability, for half the price. Most of the differences in features are not terribly relevant -to me."<br>

Great point #2: "Exposures longer than 8 seconds will be a real problem, so if you do night photography, or long exposures to blur water-----."</p>

<p>Now that I am getting my feet wet (no pun intended) with longer "water" exposures on the digital side, this would be a consideration.</p>

<p>I have a SQ, planning on building a 4 lens kit, 50, 80, 110, and something longer (any suggestions?), and adding mint condition B & Ai bodies, just to have around.</p>

<p>After I shot with the SQ w/ the 80 last winter, I realized the image quality from the lens was superb...maybe not Zeiss, but then again maybe just as good.</p>