loading 120/220 on stainless reels

I'm sure this has been discussed but I can't find it in the archives.

When loading 120/220 roll film on stainless reels, how much film

leader do you have before the first exposure?

Is it OK to touch, say, the first 3 inches of film as you clip it to

the reel?

Does 120 differ from 220 in this respect?

Thanks!

I've never had a problem if my hands were dry, or even sweaty. It's hard to load film with sweaty hands so I wear cotton gloves in that case.

It's not necessary to use the center clip. The film will hold well enough once you have a turn or two. Using the clip makes it hard to start the film smoothly and may cause mechanical fog (wrinkles) if you crease the film in the process. I never use it at all, instead I hold the end of the film lightly through the ends of the spool for a couple of turns.

As Gary said, you're okay to touch the back, non emulsion side. That's normally the side facing out from the reel. I usually have about two inches of lead, before the first exposure. And after you started the film into the reel you will only need to touch the edges anyway, to give the film a slight bend so it feeds properly. If you don't use cotton gloves then it's a good idea to at least wash your hands with soap and water before you start. That's what I do. I do use cotton gloves to handle the film after development.

Once you get the hang of it I think you'll find it lots easier than 35mm film.