OT: Question about Olympus OM10

shoebox

My boss just gave me an old camera that he no longer uses. It's an Olympus OM10. I play

with it a bit and I'm already in love with it. It feels kinda like my leica in that it's old styled

and seems to be a mechanical camera.

I've the following question:

1) I don't think the build-in meter is working. It doesn't matter as I have a light meter

myself. I googled Olympus OM10 and found that this camera only works in aperture

priority mode. This is strange because if I flip the camera to 'Manual/adaptor' mode, I can

use the camera in as a manuel camera. All shutter speeds sound accurate.

So my question is can this camera be used in manual mode?

2) It seems that this camera won't work without battery, is this normal?

3) It comes with a 50mm f1.8 lens. Is this a good lens? Which other olympus lenses are

good?

Thanks. I really like this camera.

Jeff

Leica forum or not, here's a few answers:

The OM-10 was built in the early-to-mid 80's. It's aperture priority, with an optional manual adapter. The adapter pops out from the front, attached with a small headset-style plug. I have no idea why they didn't just build that feature in. It's gotta be a decision from the marketing department. The adapters are getting tough to find on their own.

Yup, an electronic shutter requires batteries to operate. Two PX-76, I believe. At least they're alkaline instead of mercury, so they're common.

The 50/1.8 is very good. Maybe not up to Summicron quality, but still quite nice. There are two or three versions; later ones are multi-coated instead of single-coated.

Most Olympus lenses are good, and a lot of them are cheap now. (Too bad the 40mm isn't one of them!) Look around a bit for reviews. The really wide ones are relatively expensive, but a 28 or 35 is cheap.

The OM-10 is a great camera. They're only going for $100 or so with the 50/1.8 lens, so don't be afraid to use yours.

Regards, David

No sweat. Hope you enjoy it.

You can get an OM 28 or 35 for $100 or so. Even the truly great stuff isn't all that expensive by Leica standards. Sadly, the 40mm OM lens seems to have attained cult status. They're going for a lot - $400 or $500. I've got a Minolta CLE 40 (and the beautiful Konica Hexanon 40mm) so I'm in no rush for a 40mm OM.

The 50 1.8 is a good lens, but as previously mentioned, some variants of it are really good. My choice for a second lens would be the 100 2.8 which KEH often has at a good price. I think it represents the best combination of quality/price in the 85-100 range. It is also very compact.

There is a discussion about the 40mm on the Olympus forum. I have one, don't regret buying it when I did, but if I didn't have one, I wouldn't buy it now. I like the angle of view, but the last 50mm I bought new for $39 is at least as good, if not better, than the 40mm for which I paid more than 10 times that.