I am interested in buying a flash gun for my EOS 350D. Can someone

let me know why Canon speedlites are so expensive compared to other

flashgun manufacturers? I guess its got something to do with the E-

TTL II system or something... What is it exactly is it Canon

technology or some kind of standard?

Appreciate your expert advice ...

Thanks

Tonio

The Canon flashes have a special ETTL function that allows automatic exposure control.

'Dedicated' third-party flashes have this too, but many cheaper models do not. It is not a

standard. It is Canon-specific.

Generally the Canon speedlights are very well built. They also have focus assist lights that

cover all focus points.

I recommend getting either the 430ex or the Sigma 500 DG Super.

Cheers

Adam

Hi, I am just a beginer in photography and I have got a 430EX and a 350D. When I used it in 'Auto' mode, the pictures were consistently under exposed atleast by 1 f-stop and I had to go to 'Program' mode and overexpose by 1 F-stop (as I was not sure to set Flash Exposure) and it looked like it was little over exposed. This happened when the flash light was directly facing the subject. The room was pretty dark, not too dark though.

When I changed the angle to around 45 degrees (partly facing the ceiling), the exposure was quite OK, but the color was getting warmer (much warmer) (may be because of reflections from ceiling, though ceiling was white!). What bothers me more is the fact the pictures are consistently under exposed in Auto mode. Please assist.

Siva, the short answer is that Canon ETTL flash exposure is very dependent upon what is underneath the active focus point <i>at the time of exposure</I>. In "auto" mode, the camera will be choosing the autofocus point for you, and so it's as likely as not that exposure will be a bit off....<p>

The long answer is to read, learn and inwardly digest all the info available here:<p>

<a href="http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/">http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/</a>.<p>

Ian

<p>for about the price of a 430ex, you can still get a new 550ex (this is true

over here in europe, so YMMV), which is a more full featured flash, with a considerable

amount of extra power. <a href="http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/%7Ea0202519/small_serious_skin.jpg" target="_blank">here's</a>

a link to a shot in which i used a 550ex to<em> overpower the sun</em>. stupid

sun. you can also use it to control other flashes in a wireless multi-flash

setup (like an st-e2 unit can, but with a stronger IR control beam, and the

550ex can control 3 groups of flashes, not just 2 as with the st-e2). the 430ex

has no master control. </p>

<p>the 550ex was the predecessor to the 580ex, and is still used by tons of working

pros - so it's more than enough for us enthusiasts. just a <a href="http://www.dg28.com" target="_blank">couple

of examples</a> from <a href="http://www.filmlessphotos.ca" target="_blank">experts

in the area of flash photography</a>.</p>

<p>have a good one.</p>

<p> </p>

sorry, i think i meant to post that in another thread.

as to your question. canon flashguns are so expensive because they're so convenient. we have to buy them to get their level of compatibility and feature set. canon knows this and charges a turbo premium for their flashes. sigma has a line of "DG" and "super" flashes that mimic the 420ex/550ex, but their build quality is somewhat lacking to many, and they seem to be hit or miss at times with exposure consistency (some would say the same about the canons, though).

Canon's top of the line 580EX is about $380 at B&H or Adorama. The Metz 54MZ4 is about $370. The Nikon SB800 is $315, and the Konica Minolta is way cheap at $300. But the Olympus version is a whopping $450. The Canon is just somewhere in near middle.

If you're comparing most third party offerings, the camera maker's flashes are more expensive, but then no one said the Sigma/Phoenix/Vivitar is made as well. And most of them don't have nearly the same features or power. Still, you can get a cheap $20 Vivitar that makes nice flash exposures, so that option is open. But then, you can also still get sub $200 film SLRs, but not many people are buying them either.

<p>exactly jim. companies are charging a turbo premium for convenience and somewhat

decent build quality, not performance. one could get a studio of alien bees

for what a canon multi-flash system costs. but try taking your alien bees on

vacation with you, and the turbo premium will quickly start to make more sense.

</p>

<p>you guys have a good one.</p>