good graduated ND glass filters

I see some exceptional landscapes on this site, mostly making use of

graduated ND filters and was wondering can anyone recommend where I

can get good graduated ND glass filters (and attachments). I have

used Cokin but the quality resulting isn't always quite there as it

seems odd to pay ᆪ1000 for optics then stick a bit of plastic in

front of it?

I have a Canon 300D, 20D and three good lenses (77mm).

Best wishes and many thanks,

Kevin

PS If I have missed a post regarding this issue please accept my

apologies

good nd? go to sing-ray . com also, dont forget, you might see some better results if you also use a good polorizer with the nd.

good tutorials . com is a good source for framing info, as is action central. i believe actcentral.com is where they are or just google action central. look in the downloads section.

-zacker-

You don't need glass for high quality. I did an extensive reseach myself when I was looking for the best grad ND filter. The most important factor is whether the filter is truly neutral or not. Cokins are really bad, being way to magenta or green. I also tried the glass Tiffin; they weren't as bad but still not neutral. I finally tried Hitech which worked, as they were the closest to neutral that I found. There also might be other brands that are neutral as well, but I stopped at Hitech, they provided the biggest bang for the buck. I believe that B+W makes a line of professional cine filters that are glass and possibly coated. You might check, but they were too expensive for me.

All the square or rectangular filters are plastic (now) except for Tiffen. The important

elements are color, optical transparency (read free of distortion and artifacts), and

durabilty. The "plastic" these filters use is the same for high quality eye glasses and is one

piece, through dyed. Glass filters either are three pieces (two glass layers sandwiching a

sheet of film), or a sheet of glass with dye applied to it's surface making it quite prone to

scratching.

The only downside to plastic filters is the fear of scratching them. This is WAY overblown

IMO. Take reasonable care with them and you may never scratch them. I've had plastic

eyeglasses for years without any noticable scratches. I also haven't scratched my Hi-Tech

filters. Even if you do get small scratches on them it is VERY unlikely to show up on an

image. Without a protracted explanation of this, I'll just say it doesn't work that way.

The flare issue mentioned is a real one though. Putting a flat pane of glass or plastic in

front of your lens without shading or blocking bright light sources is likely to induce flare.

None of the square or rectangular filters (to my knowledge) have anti-reflective coatings.

Some systems have big hoods that clip onto their holders. I suggest a tripod, remote

release, and physically block the sun (or whatever) with a hat, shirt, your body, etc.

The glass Grad ND's tend to be the circular, screw-on type, which I find much too limiting in the context of placing the transition where I'd like w/out changing the composition. For that reason alone I ignore the screw-on Grad ND's. (I'm not aware of a glass, rectangular Grad ND.) The rectangular P-style (as in Cokin P) are, made of resin and require 1) the adapter ring to be screwed onto the filter threads of the lens and 2) the filter-holder to be mounted onto the adapter ring.

I've used the Singh-Rays w/ zero complaints re: color-shifts. I treat them as I would a lens; always in and out of the protective cases when not in use and they have remained scratch-free. (In one sense it is fortuitous that they are resin as a large, thin sheet of glass w/out a metal frame would be prone to snapping in half due to bumps and bruises from other gear in a bag.) Because they are softer than glass I also try to avoid wiping and instead will brush or blow dust off as needed. I know the reusable microfibre cloths are popular w/ many folks but I just cannot see reusing something that may pick-up and hold a piece of grit when the alternative is a cheap-as-Kleenex, clean and throw-away paper...but my shooting environments are far from studio or clinically-clean!

I've no experience w/ Tiffen Grad ND's but have read more than once (here on p.net) that they introduce a shift. Just how significant is in the eye of the beholder. Admittedly flare could be a problem w/ any surface, glass or resin, that's filtering strong light. Lee Filters makes some large, fancy hoods to block stray light. Most of my grad ND shooting involves a tripod, thus I have a free hand to shade the filter.

My word loads of great information there. The Tiffen filters look the business but also cost quite a bit accordingly. Still you get what you pay.

Has anyone out there noticed problems with the 10-22mm EFS Canon lens, at 10mm, with the Cokin filters (you can see the edge of the adaptor at 10 mm). I bought specificallly a Cokin adaptor for wide lenses but to no avail.

I use Singh-Ray grad filters. I remember that when I was shopping for grad filters, I drew a conclusion that Singh-Ray or Lee would be the best of all, in terms of quality and feasibility. I took Singh-Ray because I can use the X-Pro Cokin holder for wide-angle lenses, e.g., 77mm. I have used the grads with the polarizer (the screw-in type) and with the stack of the UV filter + polarizer + adapter ring (for grad holder), I saw slight vignette starting from 28mm down. This vignette can easily fixed with PS CS2 (if you shoot RAW!) I don't know whether at 10mm (16mm with 1.6x) like you say, even the combination of UV + adaper ring is still good. Probably you have to buy a rectangular (circular) polarizer that goes with the Cokin X-Pro if you go with Cokin set.

tien pham

tkpham5@juno.com

Another vote for Hi-Tech!

Just to add to the comments already made. They are available in

Cokin 'P'' (85mm) and Lee (100mm) sizes and fit both of these

holders fine. If you don't need anything larger than the 85mm

size coupled with a Cokin 'P' holder is about the cheapest way to

get quality grads on your lens. These are true neutral density

filters not like the Cokin 'Grey' grads which I've never liked.

Team Work seem to have about the best prices (where mine

came from) and the grads can be bought in kits to save even

more money.

One final thing... if you do end up using the Cokin holder check

out Speed Graphic and their own brand flexible hood. Fits the

Cokin 'P' holder perfectly and costs way less than any other

solution I've seen (could be a bit wider though for my tastes).

Good luck!

I've used the Singh Rays for years in a Cokin Holder. I shoot with then and then put them back in their case and still have no scratches. Flare can be a problem but it's too easy to shade the lens for that to be a concern.<div>00FV3b-28561184.jpg.688588b256664448feb8c2c73a18a472.jpg</div>