Argus C3 Addiction

Hello,

In December of 2005 I discovered the Argus C3.

I just received number four today. My wife says I have to stop.

Nifty camera. Cheap and well built. And don't anyone tell you

different; they take a nice picture.

My latest one was aquired from eBeware. I paid a bit much, the

vendor said it was in great condition; it is, clear rangefinder,

color is good on shutter dial, and the lens is perfect. However, the

vendor failed to disclose that an ID is inscribed on the bottom.

Oh well, it works perfect, and the pictures came out fine.

My goal is a mint one with all the goodies.

I'll probably start giving the duplicates away to the kids on

birthdays and xmas enclosed with a book on photography.<div>00FYgi-28660884.jpg.605ece55f6e630112df88fb0ec2d35ec.jpg</div>

I received the camera from the Post Office at lunch today. Took some quick pix at work and this was one of my favorites. I did not have a meter so I completely guessed at the exposure. I bracketed three shots and this came out right on. The lighting is a mixture of shop and natural lighting.<div>00FYgq-28661084.jpg.cfe2759f4384c256b1af761426c79c3c.jpg</div>

Having been on the "receiving end" of an Argus C-3 for my entire childhood, I refuse to even look at one, let alone actually use one

Brings back too many bad memories: "stand still while i fiddle with my lightmeter; now stand close to your brother; hold still while I focus; drat, a cloud blotted out the sun... let me check that meter again; BRIAN...GET UP OUT OF THAT MUD; okay, boys, smile; oh dear, I needed to cock the shutter; etc; etc." Despite this scenario, my Dad actually managed to fill many, many slide trays with 'precious moments' from my cildhood.

I love 'em. They're easy to repair, take great shots (with a bit of effort), and double as dumbbells.

Here's my "Vegas Edition" C3 (w/ 100mm Tele-Sandmar) -- and yes, the cobra skin cost much more than the camera and all of its accessories.<div>00FYzt-28669784.jpg.f8810be2b00af1b675733c7bf1921942.jpg</div>

Wonderful results from all who contributed photos. Please remind me again why I own four Leica's. I know that when I was teeny-bopper, a half century ago, that brand new C3's sold for about $30. I had no idea that they performed as well as demonstrated in this thread. Of course, my level of photo sophistication then was that I believed 35 cameras could ONLY produce slides.

The C3 lens is supposed to be an identical formula to the Leitz Elmar. Unfortunately, since the Argus quality control was not as good as Leica, you only MAY get one that good if you are very lucky. My personal Argus favourite is the model 21 Markfinder.

Hey Gene,

I checked out your link. Wonderful pix and that nice color. Your pictures really show off the C3.

I agree with what you said regarding the rangefinder. It is horrible. I find myself using zone focus about 95% of the time.

I've come to this thread late. Just picked up a C3 at a flea market on Saturday. Even had film in it (which I will have to develop to see what's on it).

Mine was 5 bucks, and seems to work well enough. I'll put a roll of film through it and see how it does. If it does a good job, I'll put that fake "Red Seal Skin" from camera leather on it.

I'll run the film through it after I clean out the rangefinder, it's pretty dirty in there.

• 2 years later...
I've probably owned 20 of these in my lifetime (currently 4) and there is quite a bit of sample variation.But the very best of these (still have it) is as sharp as anything I've seen in 35mm.I'd put it up against anything (at least stopped down to f8 or 11) and I'm a man who owns & uses a Pentax spotmatic F w/50 f1.4 SMC Tak,Canon Ae1p with standard 50mm Canon lens,several Yasinons lenses (mostly used on Zenits but also a couple Vivitar & Gaf slr's),Pentax k1000 with standard Pentax 50mm f2.0 (both A & M) & quite a few others (Helios,Ricoh,industar,S xenon) A good one was REAL GOOD for it's day & price.Still good today.

• 10 months later...