Grand Canyon Photography

kuryan_thomas

Could someone recommend a good photography guide book for Grand Canyon National

Park? I'm looking for information such as locations for sunsets and sunrises, expected

weather (I'm currently planning for October), and other similar information oriented

towards an amateur landscape photographer.

I'd also enjoy hearing your tips and experiences. Is October a good time (any leaf color at

that time)? Favorite places? Decent places to stay? Walks/drives? Etc.

The scale of this park seems so large that I don't really want to just show up with a tripod,

a camera, and some lenses.

Thank you very much.

Obi,

You might find this link interesting. Web cam is currently down but supposed to be back up this month.

October is usually dry, probably cold at night. Many easy places to photograph. North rim will be closed. Bright Angel Trail is most well known. If you are in shape you could hike to Panorama Point for sunset and back out in the dark. If you are not in shape, well...

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grcacam/grcacam.cfm

best,

October is a fabulous time for leaf color change at the north rim. You can also find great fall colors shots in the San Francisco Peaks area between Flagstaff and the Canyon. The January 2006 National Geographics Magazine has an excellent article and map on shooting The Canyon. Facilities and the South Rim are many and varied depending on your budget. At the north Rim i'd try to get reservations at the Lodge at the park as its a long drive to other facilities, But it's worth what ever you might have to pay as this is really the most beautiful portion of the canyon. Have fun.

Obi,

I may have mis-written about the north rim. Depending on snow conditions, you might find access to the North Rim difficult and

some facilities close after October 15th.

Grand Canyon Lodge, 888-297-2757, located on the North Rim

North Rim Campground may remain open past October 15th weather permitting 800-365-2267. Outside the U.S. 301-722-1257

Jacob Lake Inn, 45 miles north of the North Rim 928-643-7232.

Numbers taken from 2003 season guide

Sorry if I misled anyone.

In addition, check out these two books: 1)Along the Rim: A Guide to Grand Canyon's South Rim from Hermits Rest to Desert View, find it here; http://www.grandcanyonassociation.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GCA&Product_Code=M10003&Category_Code=FEATURED. This one has good images of each overlook--helpful to previsualize. And 2) Photographer's Guide to the Grand Canyon and Northern Arizona, find it here; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811729001/ref=pd_sim_b_1/104-2555492-0863958?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155. I used this alot in conjunction with the first book, and Laurent Martres's book mentioned in a response above. They were all helpful!

• 3 years later...