LTM: Elmar 5cm shots

jkelly04

Here are a few test shots from my Leica IIIa and uncoated Elmar

50/3.5 collapsible. I purchased this lens from a popular auction

site for USD 56; when I received it, the glass looked good, but the

focus ring was stuck fast from years of non-use. I sent the lens to

Oleg in Russia, who fixed the focus ring and did a general CLA for

USD 13.<div>00FS57-28493784.jpg.6d2a200797511e949512d4cc443a3165.jpg</div>

The lens appears to be a fine performer. The first two shots of the church seem to be affected by aliasing induced either by scanning or, more likely, by resizing. I have noticed the same effect on brick buildings when I use PSP9 to resize to a max width of 500 pixels. Irfanview seems to a much better job in resizing with less aliasing. Here is an extreme example of a shot from a contessa 310, scanned well, but ruined by resizing.<div>00FSRm-28504284.jpg.1cf8a6710b804a6afd3418d47e5e0bf7.jpg</div>

Rob, Oleg is Oleg Khalyavin of OK Photocameras. His website is www.okvintagecamera.com. He does CLAs and general repair on classic Leicas and Soviet knockoffs and lenses. His prices are ridiculously reasonable, but I wouldn't send him anything too valuable, mainly because of the vagaries of the Russian postal system. However, he has an excellent reputation - I've never seen a bad comment on his work, and he's very fast and a good communicator by email. The only drawback (other than trusting that your valuable goods will not be pilfered in transit) is the time spent in mailing to and from Russia. It took my lens two weeks for Oleg to receive. He then repaired it in one day, and I received it back from him in another two weeks. He did a superb job.

• 2 years later...