Anyone Experince E-1 Freeze?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the following... I was out photographing

with my E-1 and after about 10 SHQ photos (in aperture priourity) the camera completely

froze up. The settings on the outside LCD screen froze as well, and no other pushing of

any buttons would reset the camera. In fact, even turning the camera off didn't solve the

problem, the display still stayed on the screen even when the camera was off!... I finally

managed to reset the camera by removing and reinstalling the battery and the camera

worked for the rest of the time I was outside (another 45 minutes on a cold, but not

freezing, winter day... ie, I didn't need gloves to shoot). This is the second time this

problem has occured, except the first time, the camera could be reset by simply turning it

off and on again.

The first time it happened, the camera was with firmware 1.0, the second and more severe

time, version 1.4. The camera was bought new and is only a month old. It's never done

this inside, only outside... I only have one cf card and it's a sandisc ultra II... I'm using the

camera with a 14-54 and it never comes off...

As I have another 3 months to get used to this camera before using it for commercial

work, I would greatly appreciate any comments!

Thanks very much!

Mark

No. Send it back to Olympus and ask for repair or replacement. This has almost never been reported among E-1 users on dpreview who have put in a lot of mileage. Don't take a chance...internal CPU is likely out of whack big time. Get it in the mail fast...

I have had it 3 or 4 times in almost 2 years, but not for a long time now. Yours is definitely extrordinary.

I blamed it on a badly seated CF card, something not unusual with any camera. Always with the same card too! The first time it wouldn't play ball until I took out and put the card back, so and few times after that I always fiddled with the card too when it happened.

Mark,

The same thing has happened to me twice. Once was on a very hot, humid day and the other time I was indoors. I've got 2, E-1's and I don't know if it was the same camera or not.

I e-mailed Olympus support. I'm not sure of how good an answer I got but the person at Olympus said the same thing has happened to him, he believes it was a fault of the CompactFlash card.

It's been almost a year since the last episode and the wedding season will soon be starting for me. I'll let you know if it happens again.

Jim Marby

pictureperfectstudio.biz

• 1 month later...

I think my E-1 has had 1 or 2 in it's life? Can't recall! Nothing to worry about unless it happens all the time in repeatable circumstances. THAT WOULD signal a fault!

If it just locks up every now and again, just unseat the battery. It may be a card issue or just a freak glitch?

However, if it's frequent, I'd get on to Olympus.

Good luck