SU-800 Commander Unit Batteries

todd1664878707

There are no such things as "common" batteries anymore. Recently I saw 6 or seven different "common" batteries at a local supermarket. All are weird shaped and of different voltage, etc.

With the advent of new gizmos, a whole lot of new "common" batteries are everywhere.

AAAA batteries, are they common?!

The main reason they used the CR123a is because its a 3v battery vs a 1.5v for the AA. To keep the size and weight down for the SB200 flashes and still get enough power this battery was chosen. Othewise you would need 2 AA batteries to get enough power, but the weight would kill the whole system. Trying to say consistent they used the same battery in the SU800, because its main purpose is to be used with the SB200 macro flashes.

I personally wouldnt buy the SU800 as a controller for SB800 or SB600 flashes. For less then $100 I would get another SB800 to use as a controller. In fact, I have the R1 macro kit with 2 SB200 flash units, and I use a SB800 flashes to control them. This way I can get extra flash power when taking shots a little farther away.

• 3 years later...

<p>You can get four rechargeable CR123's with a charger, and the auto charge adapter for less than $30.00 U.S.<br>

I use the SU-800 routinely to fire my SB-800 and SB-900 units.. .and get better range than the rated 60 ft. outside.<br>

I always head out with a freshly charged CR123 and rechargeable is the only way to go in my book. I use the AA eneloops in my SB-800 & SB-900 units... they definitely go the distance.<br>

I was in a pinch on day and had to purchase a battery (CR123 from Radio Shack) $ 15.00 each... you get around 1,200 cycles out of that rascal.. give or take...<br>

Here is the link to the amazon source: <br>

http://www.amazon.com/RCR123A-Rechargeable-Protected-Batteries-Charger/product-reviews/9575871979/ref=cm_rdphist_4?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFourStar</p>

<p> </p>