warantee backed by Canon. I borrowed the owners manual and I put it

on hold till 9am to decide.

Any great links or bad experiences or bad serial number runs to

watch out for would be helpful in helping me decide whether I should

get this EOS film body. I have no eos glass, I am just considering

the possibility as a stepping stone into a future eos digital slr

purchase.

Thanks! Lindy

There were some cameras with an exposure problem and Canon serviced them, but I forget which year that was.

Do a search for EOS 3 on the forums to see what others have said about it. I have one and I haven't noticed it.

$450 is a good price, depending on how "mint" it is. Outside of surface blemishes, be sure to look inside the body for any decay, debris, cracking, etc., especially on the shutter blades.

The PB-E2 grip provides the highest fps with the battery pack, with just AA's I think its something like 6 fps.

Puppy Face's <a href="http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_eos3.htm">EOS 3 Review</a> is something that I read which I found helpful. All in all I am very happy with my camera. If you are looking to recreate the 7fps in a digital body, you'll be spending thousands more.

Models made prior to March 1999 had underexposure problems in lowlight (below EV 6). The

problem was corrected with a firmware update (takes about 60 seconds). All models were

under warranty at that time so most owners had the firmware updated. 7 years out it's

probably pretty difficult to find an EOS 3 with the firmware flaw.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

You'll grow to love the EOS3!

I think you are upgrading from FD equipment from some of your other postings.

I too upgraded from FD (AT-1, AE-1, A-1)to the Elan 7e. Smooth transistion! and even smoother from the 7e to the EOS3. I now use the 7e as the backup body.

I bought my EOS 3 used also. Mine was originally purchased in 1999 by the previous owner and did have the firmware update. I've had no problems at all with my "minty" used EOS 3 and PB E2, but did not acquire mine for quite as low a price.

Hope you decide in favor of it! And there are some very knowledgeable EOS 3 users in these forums. (Self not included - still learning!)

Enjoy!

I also love the fast and accurate autofocus and of course the bright viewfinder. It'll make you want to invest in fast lenses (i.e. anything faster than an f2.8). I've got that disease now, much to the chagrin of my wife.

And to reiterate, at $450, it's a crime to NOT buy it. If you're looking for a solid film body, this is a great choice. I learn more about it each time I pick it up.

Yes I'm leaning more towards it. It just came back from Canon from their inspection and their warantee. It looks new to me and there is absolutely no wear on the film pressure plate. I can do a 1/3 down with 3 months same as cash deal so thats likely the route I'll take. 5 bucks a day for 90 days makes sense.

Actually the $425 price tag seems to be market now in the internet for "mint" booster and body.

Looking into eos brand glass prices though, Ouch! I've gotten spoiled with Canon's Fd glass pricetags. All EOS primes are pricey used or new.

Here's a question, how do you tell if the EOS3 body is USA market or grey market. I assume its "USA" since Canon just inspected it.

I'd say that it's a good buy. I picked up the same combo (mint) on Ebay last week for $400, and there are several that have sold down as low as $375 for body + grip. It's a heck of a lot of camera, maybe more than you need if you don't have any EOS glass. If I were looking for a stepping stone into the Canon lineup (especially if I were looking to go digital), I'd start a little lower in the film camera line with an Elan 7 or 7N and spend more money on lenses. The $200-$250 you save could buy a decent prime lens.

The EOS 3 is a great camera, but if buying this compromises your ability to invest in lenses, it's not worth doing. Besides, it'll be less painful switching to digital if you aren't having to give up the big viewfinder and 45 point autofocus of the EOS 3!

Prices are plummeting on the EOS3, like down to $300 for body alone. If you hunt around you can probably beat $450 for the combo. But probably not local and try-before-you-buy and no return policy.

If you are willing to hold out, it probably won't be long before 1V's are around $450. The F5 has dropped that low lately.

Lindy, I've seen enough of your posts to venture to suggest that what would make you really happy is a -1V. Go for a body-only version and pick up the PB-E2 later - they are readily available s/h as a separate item. With both the -3 and the -1V you may appreciate being able to use the camera in a lighter set-up than the HS combination, and that requires the standard grip not supplied as part of the HS kit.

I got my 3 and PB-E2 new in 1999 and have put hundreds of rolls through it. This is a fantastic camera. It is rock solid. The shutter seems to go on forever. You are getting the body and booster for little more than the price of a new booster.

One warning...you can go through a LOT of film at 6-7 fps! lol! But...there's a high probability you'll get the peak action shot.

The 3 really shines with the PB-E2. Without the booster, you'll be going through a lot of 2CR5 batteries. I use NiMH AAs in the PB-E2.

I just picked up the EOS 3 body only for $300 in mint condition, there are

several at this price or close to it over on the FM buy/sell forum

(www.fredmiranda.com). Mine does underexpose 1-1.5 stops with overcast

skies luckily I ran some film throught it before taking it on a trip so I just did a

wider bracket in overcast situations.

"Mine does underexpose 1-1.5 stops with overcast skies luckily I ran some film throught it before taking it on a trip so I just did a wider bracket in overcast situations."

1-1.5 stops is a lot. However, with evaluative metering you do have to add some light in cloudy/overcast conditions.

What the heck, I put it on layaway so they've got it tucked away for me. So with manual in hand to study I should have my first Eos film body by June or sooner if I get an eos lens. I even got the fully transferable Canon repair warantee bumped to 1 year, which starts on day of payoff, of course.

Lindy

Congratulations Lindy!

You won't regret it! Now, since you are on a tight budget . . . give serious consideration to the EF 50mm 1.8 lens. It can be had for just over $70.00 New and you can't get more bang for the bucks! It's a sharp lens and will get you started in the right direction with your EOS3. Although it's build quality is lacking, it's image quality is near that of the L's.

As I am certain you will in anticipation . . . Study your user manual well. They are IMHO your best reference when studied carefully.

Again, Congrats!

Thanks Jim J. I was wondering when I'd get tempted by Canon's current eos mount. Instead of the 50mm 1.8 eos I am thinking of something with IS and fast aperture so the eye Control is best utilized. I've got plently of time to get up to speed before the EOS3 is inhand.

I remain quite happy with my old Canon FD system. As FD lens prices drop further it's hard not to acquire more prime glass.

This EOS3 will allow me to see to test various adapters I've already bought. I want know first hand if its worth cobbling old glass to the eos mount.

I see Cameta at ebay sold a couple dozen of their 5D for 2,879 last week. Thats a nice drop from issue price already.

Lindy

Lindy, enjoy your EOS-3. I had one as my second EOS camera (after an EOS-1 and before the 1V), and apart from being a bit noisy it is a fine camera. And the EOS-1 came after 25 years of FL/FD kit, so I am familiar with the move you are making.

Don't expect too much from ECF. Some people work very successfully with it, and maybe you will be one of them. I wasn't. I seem to remember that it is claimed to work more reliably if you limit the number of focusing points to 11. But do try CF-17-1/2 for tracking moving subjects - an ill-documented but valuable feature. Incidentally, the effectiveness of ECF hasn't got anything to do with fast lenses and bright light - it's AF that depends on those things.

If you search this forum you'll find a lot of threads about trying to adapt FD lenses to EOS. The rare and expensive FD-EOS converter (the one with optics in) is said to work well with Big White FD Lenses. The glassless FD-EOS macro converter, or a substitute made by knocking the glass out of an off-brand converter, is said to be useful in some macro set-ups. Finally, there is someone now offering to re-engineer FD lenses (in general, irreversibly) to serve as 'dumb' EOS-mount lenses with infinity focus. If you want to do any of this stuff, you may find it worth replacing the Ec-N focusing screen standard on the EOS-3 with the Ec-CIII screen standard on the 1V - it gives more 'bite' for MF at the cost of being slightly less bright. Other than special cases like these, there really doesn't seem to be much that can be achieved.

Your lens ambitions are going to be expensive; sounds like you are talking about the 24~105/4L IS or 70~200/2.8L IS, which will take some saving up for. Compared to that, a 50/1.8 is in the small change.

Robin, That screen info is really quite helpful and was on my list. Thanks!

I've picked up the canon brand fd eos macro tube at ebay recently, also the adorama $40 1.25x adapter. I have low expectations from the $40 item but we'll see. I am not a fan of additional glass elements. I've also got 2 nikon lens to eos body adapters for a nikkor 50-300mm f4.5 and a 500mm f8 mirror.

Years ago I did buy and later sell a Canon brand 1.26x system adapter for supertelephotos. Currently these 1.26x have shot up over a grand to $1,200 and thats just silly. Canon sold these new for $250. There is not $1,200 worth of technology in it. Sure I'd like to get one again, now that I'd have a body and 3 compatible FD lenses but not for the kind of money they are trading at today.

Robin, you are right in assuming the one lens I'd like to get. Either of those L's would compliment my kit and show me what the hoopla and fuss surrounding autofocus is all about ;^) I already figured the one eos L zoom lens purchase will run me more than the EOS3 package. Thats another reason I laid it away at my favorite local shop. Being a repair facility too they've always fixed me right up. I really wanted to buy my used eos body from them. When the EOS3 came in three weeks ago they sent to Canon for their inspection and gave me a call...

Lindy

I doubt if you'll try your Adorama adapter more than once, and since you already have the Canon FD-EOS Macro Adapter there's no need for doing any violence to the Adorama one. I hadn't realised the price level that the Canon 1.26x adapter had reached. Starts to make more sense to save up for a Big White EOS Lens!

I don't have the 70~200/2.8L IS, but there are so many positive recommendations for it that you really can't go wrong, provided you don't mind the size and weight. I do have the 24~105, but I use it on a 20D. It's a great lens on the 1.6-factor cameras, although you do need to supplement it at the wide end, and my walk-around kit is that and the 10~22. You'll almost certainly see a bit of vignetting at the wide end and wide open on full frame, probably rather more than if you got the 24~70, which is the obvious high-end alternative. The nice thing about the EOS-3 (or 1V) is that it will give you high-precision AF at the central point with an f/4 lens, whereas you have to go to f/2.8 to get that on the 20D. There's plenty more treats in store for you in the EF lens range that aren't available in FD, like the amazing 135/2L and the very nice 17~40.