new to leica

A check of the archives should give you all the information you need. But since you asked here, answer the following questions and we will be able to provide better responses:

1. Do you require/want/have to have a built in light meter?

2. What is your prefered focal length?

3. What is your typical subject matter?

The answers to those three questions should get you started in the right direction to getting the most useful answers to your own question. Welcome to the forum!

Michael J Hoffman

Leica M body--used M3, M2, M6, M7, or MP--and used Leica 35mm lens. The later models--cameras, that is--have light meters. If you decide you do not like rangefinder photography, you could sell your Leica equipment for just about what you pay for it. Hey, good luck--and welcome.

Todd said:

" If you know nothing much about Leica, and maybe about other cameras, perhaps a Leica might be a bit difficult to use. They are not easy cameras to use. "

With all due respect to Todd, I must recount my intro to Leica. I did NOT know about 'Leica Mystique etc' when I acquired my first Leica. I was dissatisied with my Nikon low light performance and someone suggested if I has 'bags of money' I should try a Leica. I bought myself one for Xmas and spent the next 12 months 'playing with it'. The feel grew on me, but I didn't think of it as a serious workhorse.

On one occassion I was shooting a theatrical performance that was progressing slowly, so I pulled out the Leica and 'doubled up' on the Nikon shots. I was so blown away by the obvious improvement in image quality with the Leica that my children now have the Nikon outfit and I shoot (almost) exclusively Leica.

It is a different way of working and has a learning curve. If you are serious, the (learning) curve flattens and the improvement curve rises.

It took me 12 months to switch over, but I have NEVER looked back, except to measure my improvement.

Go for it. Love it!

<They are not easy cameras to use.> ? load some Illford xp2s, choose the appropate

aperture, and shutter speed, zone focus, or use the rangefinder focus; point and shoot.

Oh! REMEMBER to REMOVE the LENS CAP FIRST, maybe that's what Todd found so

confusing?

Buy the same focal lengths you use now for 35mm if you are happy with them. Get Summilux 1.4 lenses if you want to do pics in the dark, other wise the slower lenses are their equal or better and lighter to move with.

M6, M7, MP bodies have light meters if you require that.

M2,3,4 bodies are smoother to operate but are getting old and may require expensive repairs.

Any screw mount will more than likely require new shutters. Most all I have seen are deteriorated badly. Reconditioned they work as well as a new MP, but they are quirky if you change lenses a lot. The finder is for 50mm only. I carry a 111f every day because it is small and has interchangeable lenses. None are metered.

Intended subjects would help get better advice.

If you want a Leica to hang around your neck like an Olympic medal, then by all means, go for it... If, on the other hand, you want to spare you and your bank account a major financial dent, then consider a used Olympus OM1 or OM2 with a 50mm 1,4.- I think you would be just as pleased with the results. Small, sexy, and incredibly good in the optics department, OM cameras were the SLR answer to the so-called Leica mistique, and have become something of a cult object among its users. The people in the Oly forum are really freindly too- you certainly won't have to beg at our doorstep to get in!

I'd suggest an M2. If you buy one that looks brand new it's more likely to need work than one that's seen regular excercise. Get a 35mm f/2 Summicron of any vintage with reasonably clean glass. A 35/1.8 Canon will require a bayonet adapter but it's as good as the older Summicrons of the same vintage, and a bit less money. Work with that for awhile before getting another lens, probably a 90. For a light meter get a Weston Master IV or Master V. They're used but easy to find. Quality Lightmetric can get a dead one working. Welcome to the club! Just get used to the fact that we have some nasty sarcastic people crashing the party on a regular basis who for the most part are NOT Leica users. They're trying to convince us that digi is the only way to go in a desperate outcry for the attention that their mommies didn't give them. Really sad, but we try to humor them. Just keep asking questions and we'll give you answers.

<I>Welcome to the club! Just get used to the fact that we have some nasty sarcastic people

crashing the party on a regular basis who for the most part are NOT Leica users. <b>They're

trying to convince us that digi is the only way to go</B></I><P>

Yes, just look at all those posts in this thread (or on this forum for that matter) screaming

"buy digi"...

www.citysnaps.net

M2 with a 35 summicron asph, current 50 elmar and the 90 elmar. All use 39mm filters and are light weight lenses. Also, the black lenses are lighter than the silver chrome lenses. Two other cameras to look for are the M4-P and the M4-2 as well.

Thanks, Brad! The day wouldn't be complete without your sage advice on choosing lenses or your latest opinions on whether HP5 Plus is really better than Tri-X in Rodinol. You're a true wellspring of freely shared knowledge and we all feel so blessed that you got up bright and early this morning to share with us. Our day is already complete!

No Al, just responding to your daily rants about digital. Nice diversionary response.

Question, why do you post such false nonsense, like "They're trying to convince us that digi is

the only way to go in a desperate outcry for the attention that their mommies didn't give

them."?

Insecurity?

www.citysnaps.net

Hi Anita,

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, the easiest way to enjoy a beginning experience with a Leica M, the most current of the Leica rangefinder line ,is to purchase an M6 or M6ttl, as both have meters, and a 35mm or 50 mm f2 Summicron lens. Both are extremely sharp and easy to use. Both will give excellent results at any aperture. If you have ever used a manual camera with some type of match-needle meterinfg, you will find the M6 easy to use. If you have no experience with a manual camera, buy any of the photo books that offer an explanation of basic camera operation and practice, practice, practice. Enjoy your new purchase and post some pictures. Ignore the malcontents you run across on this forum.

Again, welcome.

Regards,

Frank M.