Need Good Film, Not Too Expensive

This is my first post ever! I've always taken pictures of everything

and I have been really into travel photography but I want to branch

out to more portrait photography. I would like to be able to take

good pictures of friends such as engagement, senior pictures,

couples, families, etc. I usually use a digital camera but I want to

find a good film to take film pictures as well.

I have a Nikon N75 and a friend of mine told me of a really good film

(he said THE best) but when I bought it, it cost $10 for the film and

then $13 to develop. Are there any films that are really good but do

not cost quite this much to buy and develop? For now this is just a

hobby and maybe the making of a portfolio, so I am not getting paid

and cannot afford to spend all this money on film.

Also, what do yall suggest for printing digital pics? Would you take

them somewhere or do yall have your own printers?? What do you think

of commercial film processing places like drug stores?<div>00FU5g-28536384.jpg.571c2d73b882e4bdb2740a7e6589541b.jpg</div>

Black and white. Choose any that you want, as long as it's not C41 ("chromogenic"). If it's not C41, it will be cheap, and also you can develop it yourself, which is easy and cheap. If you really consume a lot you can buy long rolls in cans for "bulk loading" onto 36-exposure cassettes.

You can buy the best portrait films for $4 or so for a 36-exposure roll; you just need to order them from somewhere like B&H Photo Video (there's a link to its web site on the photo.net home page).

As for what film to buy, for portraits, I'd suggest you try:

Fuji Pro 400H (or whatever they're calling their 400-speed pro color negative film these days),

Fuji Pro 160S,

Kodak Portra 400NC,

Kodak Portra 160NC,

and, if you want stronger colors, Kodak Ultra Color 400UC.

As for how to print digital, a good, economical, reliable place to start, especially for portraits, is Mpix.com. You upload the pictures and they print 'real' photographs on Kodak's pro portrait paper (or Kodak's metallic paper or Ilford B&W paper, at your option).

Twenty three dollars for a single roll of 35mm color pint film ouch! As other have mentioned buying your film over the internet from places like B&H should cut your film closed in half. You can save an additional 8$ or 9$ dollars per roll on processing by not getting prints when your film is processed. Instead just get prints of the best frames or have the best frames scanned.

Hmmm, Peter...I don't know about that. I just sent my first 220 roll of Tri-X to Samy's in Pasadena for processing and contacts at a cost of $28. There's not too many labs anymore even processing B+W and the ones that are, are not cheap...I suppose processing alone (w/o contacts) would be cost-effective if you had a neg scanner and then did the rest digitally at home.

I do agree that doing your own processing is a great option for B+W if you have the time. I'm considering this route for the future...

Others will probably laugh, but I've been pleased with plain old Kodak Gold 200. $8.50 for eight rolls of 24 at Sam's Club. Nice, understated colors. Others worth trying are the "High Definition" Kodak 400, and the ubiquitous Fuji 800 speed. Just as important as the film is the processing lab--don't skimp there.

Printing digital will depend on the print size. 4x6 prints are usually cheaper at a photo lab, larger prints are usually cheaper done at home.

As others have mentioned, mail order film from places like B&H. An important cost saving strategy is to buy the import version. For example, 36 exposure Fuji Pro 400H is $3.50/import versus $6/US.

If low film price is really important, try Fuji Superia 400 ($2/36 exposures) but shot at ISO 160.

Having said all this, what kind of print film you use doesn't matter nearly has much as how you post-process and print it. 4x6's coming out of an automated minilab will look all pretty much the same: high contrast, punchy, typically with blown highlights and blocked up shadows. The best thing to do is print yourself; a $90 Epson inkjet will do wonders. You'll only print the good shots so consumable costs should be low.

I use Kodak 400UC for nearly everything other than portraits, for which I use Kodak Portra 160VC and Fuji 160S.

Use every film you can get your hands on. There is bound to be one that will have that 'something' you like about it for what you are using it for. As mentioned above, for outdoor shots in good sunlight good 'ole Kodak Gold 200 is a charm. I like punchy colors, as you can see from my film choices.

As for cheap prices: http://www.profilm.com

For pretty darn good processing: Walmart send-out. Don't do the in-store thing. All the send-out film goes to Fuji lab and they have done me right every time for both 35mm and 120.

You'll know when you get to the point where you need a pro lab. Don't worry about it until you begin to spot the things you'd like to see done better. Until then it's money you don't need to spend.

I pay $1.80 for my Medium Format processing and prints from Walmart and they do just fine for anything that's not 'once-in-a-lifetime'.

If you shoot 20 rolls a year then just order a twenty-pack in January from a professional supply source and put it in the frig...

Also, consider shooting slide film and processing it yourself. What is needed ? A two-reel handheld tank, a beaker graduated in ml and ounces, a tank-and-tray thermometer, seven plastic bottles, a wristwatch, a kitchen sink with hot water, and a Kodak single use E-6 kit...and that will process 20 to 40 rolls two-at-a-time.

Tina, some of the above suggestions are good, some are "quaint:" For example, the suggestion to prepay for the processing is common in Europe; but not here in the good old U.S.A.

Next, and if any of the above guys had clicked on your bio

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member.tcl?user_id=2099235 they would see you're a college student taking photography classes. Almost all colleges have a wet darkroom somewhere on campus; and since Texas State offers photography, you'll probably get priority access to the lab & darkroom.

If Paul had read your bio, he would indeed see the folly of his post, as you can indeed develop your own B&W film, make contact prints, and make enlargements.

I would hold off on color print or (especially) color slide film until after you master B&W film, as there are a lot of things you need to get comfortable with (like maintaining total darkness, loading the reels, dust control, etc.) before you jump into color work.

--------------------

OK. that puts us in better shape: First, try some Kodak or Ilford B&W film, such as TMax 100 (TMX), Tri-X, FP4, or HP5. If I recall correctly, bulk rolling isn't a great option, as the ISO on the N75 **I believe** is automatically set by the DX code on the cassette: That's the checkerboard you see on the can that contacts in the camera make contact with to tell the camera what's inside.

[You can buy pre-coded empty cassettes for ISO 100 and ISO 400; while the Nikon default for no DX code read is also 100.]

So, to start out with, stick with factory loaded Ilford &/or Kodak cassettes. Also, watch out for the Eastern European "classic" films: The emulsion is VERY soft and scratches VERY easily -- Even pros have trouble with it.

------------------

Next is color: You can buy short-dated film on eBay often for $1-2 per roll on eBay. I'll use color print film up to six months out of date, especially if I know it was stored frozen or at least in a fridge; but color slide film I try to keep within date for serious work.

You are fortunate that you live outside NYC, which is the only place in the United States without Wal-Mart: Once you shoot slide film, take it to the photo department where they'll send it to Fuji for only $4.25 per roll -- That's actually cheaper than buying the $4.99 Fuji mailers in quantity from B&H. [WARNING: Neither Kodak or Fuji will process hand-rolled slide film: They will return it to you unprocessed.]

You'll also find that scanning color reversal (slide) film is easier than color print film, since that nasty orange mask (to assist optical printing) isn't there. You should hold off on the inkjet printer (more below) and spend the money on a good film-only scanner (NOT a flatbed!) You can also take the good slides back to Wal-Mart and they will make prints for you as well, using their Frontier. [You may want to submit your slide film with special instructions of DO NOT MOUNT OR CUT FILM, which makes bulk scanning by a digital minilab easier]

On the other hand, you can pick up a used Kodak projector on eBay for well south of a Ben Franklin, as I've discovered Gen Y likes to see slides of themselves from their last party: Looking at your gallery on your own website, it looks like you kids would get a big "retro" kick out of it at your gatherings... Just keep the presentations short, and let the images get the gang laughing.

Well, I need to tend to my processor, so I'll end it here.

Cheers! Dan<div>00FUJo-28541184.jpg.ecdf194ca77325a694c76caa23de7e0b.jpg</div>

Keep it simple Tina, buy a $100 Epson/Canon printer and use the digital or...... run some Wally-Mart film (which is probably some of the least expensive/best film that is avilable from Kodak/Fuji) through your Nikon and have it developed and scanned at Wallys, then....... print what you want on your $100 printer. Regards.

Tina, you'll go broke feeding a desktop inkjet photo printer: "Give away the razors, sell the blades" is the mantra of Lexmark, Canon and (especially) Epson. It's not so much the special paper, which intersact with the ink, that runs up the cost: It's the ink cartridges.

With a typical picture averaging 150% or more ink coverage, those cartridges add up to over 50 cents per 4x6 print.

Instead, here's a solution that gives you better print quality (wider gamut) than ANY inkjet can deliver (RGB vs CMYK palette)... And costs less than half a desktop inkjet print: Send the files right over your high speed Internet connection to (preferably) Costco or (cheaper, yet still pleasing quality) Wal-Mart; and they will output it on their $1/4 million Fuji Frontier digital photo printer.

You cannot make a 4x6 inkjet print for twice their 1-hour price of 19 cents... And if you have a bunch of prints, you can send them out, pick up the finished job, and enjoy a beer with your friends looking at the photos even before that stoopid printer on your desk is finished.

Inkjet printers are for the sheep who THINK they are getting a bargain; when in fact the quality is lower and the cost per print is twice as much.

Instead, put that $100 bill towards a good 35mm film-only scanner, even a used one on eBay.

Don't waste your time going down the flatbed scanner route: For 35mm, even though they offer tremendous resolution, they just aren't sharp enough to deliver a usable print -- Even for a 4x6 inch print -- regardless of the claims by Epson or Canon. If you also need a flatbed scanner for prints, buy an inexpensive one in addition to your film scanner; because, again, those transparency "adapters" are about as useful as tits on a bull.

Start out working like a pro, instead of as Harriet Homeowner, and you'll get better results right off the bat with less hassle... Putting the enjoyment back into photography, where it belongs! :)

Well Dan, she's a life insurance agent that likes to take travel photos...so I don't think she needs a foundation in B&W and darkroom printing.

If fact with film competing with digital I think most film shooters are going to have one color film system and nothing else.

Someone suggested shooting professional print film and developing only to negatives. I would add to that do home scanning and decide from the scans which negatives to have lab printed...

But I personally like home developing of slide film...or low cost two week lab developing of slide film.

So there's two color film systems to choose from...when considering cost.

<p>B Hall wrote: <i>Well Dan, she's a life insurance agent that likes to take travel photos...so I don't think she needs a foundation in B&W and darkroom printing.</i>

</p><p>

But Tina wrote: <br>

<i>I take as much school as I can in all fields including real estate, <b><blink>photography</blink>,</b> and religion to name a few (while still trying to actually graduate). </i> [Emphasis added, <i>DLS</i>]</p>

College courses are taught at different levels and for different purposes and to different programs. If one of the courses should be B&W shooting and printing then concern with the course requirement while taking the course but after the course return to preferences...

I don't see the need to suggest a duplicate course syllabus for a course that might occur when she hasn't asked for help with a particular course...

I take travel photos to be color...

For color, I usually use Fuji pro films like several other have suggested already (800 NPZ and 400 NPH, now called Pro 800Z and Pro 400H), and I mail-order them from B&H, since they cost way too much from a local store. But for fast color film, I've also been really pleased with Fuji Superia Xtra 800, which you can get for $2.50 a roll or less in four packs at most grocery and WalMart-ish stores in your area.<div>00FUPR-28542584.jpg.2dd84188db02b77a33acc4d6b6d3ab27.jpg</div>

OK Tina, forget the printer. Calibrate your monitor so the prints from the web vendor match what you want to see or take a chance. Good luck. I sometimes wondered what the Wally and Martha K machine operators used for color choices. Hey Dan, we are all sheep when it comes to anything digital that involves printing, scanning or cameras, right? Regards.

Most cost effective :::

Fuji Astia 100F at B&H you could buy a brick and throw them into the freezer, thaw them over night when you want to shoot.

Process them at fuji arizona, mailers are available at B&H $4.25 per roll.

Scan them and print them at costco.

I see U have posted a shot of the UT tower, did u know that in front on the fountain on the grass (near the sidewalk behind the fence) there is a metal disc, if you place your tripod over that disk, you will have the tower right in the centre of the fountain (horses). Not many ppl know this only some usual photographers. Some friendly photographer marked the spot with a metal disk so that ppl can take nice pics of the tower when it is lit. Go find the disk in the day, position ur tripod and enjoy ur photography.... GO HORNS!

B Hall said: <i>You are fortunate that you live outside NYC, which is the only place in the United States without Wal-Mart:</i><p>Not much longer: Walmart is about to open a big store right here in Brooklyn!<br>I won't have to schlep my film and digital work over to Secaucus, New Jersey much longer.<br>And 36 exposure rolls, double prints are under $6 per each at SAM's CLUB ( much less for 24/27 exposure rolls), also opening in Brooklyn soon.<p>SAM'S has .14 cents digital prints from your memory card if you wait, less if you want two-day service.<div>00FUw6-28556684.thumb.jpg.37f7985d6d39ac6e5c868f5f90a284a1.jpg</div>

Ed wrote: "Not much longer: Walmart is about to open a big store right here in Brooklyn!"

It was me who wrote that about Wal-Mart. When did they announce? It must have been within the last couple months. How the hell did they sneak that by Bloomberg?!

Where will it be located? My ladyfriend lives next to Marine Park, and there's a Home Depot next to the mall... Will it be in that shopping center, as often Home Depot and Wal-Mart locate next to each other.

It'll be fun watching the labor unions pitch a hissy-fit with Wal-Mart invading their sacred NYC territory! LOL!

Googling "Brooklyn Wal-Mart" we see that it's on the opposite side of Brooklyn from Ilene. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't do a deal for the Kings Plaza Mall area owned by Vornado ("Two Guys" in the 1960's) where the new Home Depot was built behind the mall on Avenue U... Oh well :(