mike l

I want to make a suggestion regarding the rating system (yes I know

there have been many posts on this subject). Is it possible that for

anyone whose photos only manage a 5/5 or below, to automatically

receive some advice from the photo.net site? For example this could

take the form of an email with a link to websites on other activities

from which the member could perhaps gain more enjoyment such as

scrapbooking or yoga. There could also be offers of help and advice

on where perhaps they could sell their cameras and other equipment.

This approach could also have a secondary advantage of avoiding the

rest of us having to wade through the dross before coming across the

deserving and highly rated pictures of pictures of dogs, sweet kids,

birds, and sunsets.

I want to make a suggestion regarding the rating system (yes I know there have been

many posts on this subject). Is it possible that for anyone who rates all photos only a

5/5 or higher to automatically receive some advice from the photo.net site? For

example this could take the form of an email with a link to information on the sins of

mate-rating, or an introduction to aesthetics.

Hi Michael,

If you're looking for first class photography,I can understand that you feel frustrated. But you have to keep in mind that this a forum for everybody - professionals, serious amateurs, people with no photography skills whatsoever, etc.

I am a professional myself but for me this is one of the great things about Photo.Net: everyone is allowed.

Cheers,

Nuno

I would implement some image recognition software that will disallow to upload whatever image doesn't include a kid, a dog, a bird, or a sunset.

Ratings will be, then, generated automatically by the system. One of these elements will allow you a 4 in originality. A kid at sunset will be 5. A kid at sunset with a bird flying a 6. If the kid is also with a dog it will be a 7.

Aesthetics, instead, will be handled differently. Since the subject is beautiful by definition, you start from 5.

If the kid is smiling you get 6. If the kid and the dog are smiling it's a 7. Never seen smiling birds, if somebody manages one the an 8 will be introduced, since it is not allowed to go under 5.

The problem of course, Michael, is that we would need some volunteer to apply the original rating of 5/5 or below, in order to send the offending photo to the dross pile. Such volunteers might become subject to revenge rating, so we'd have to use those volunteers whose photos average under 5/5 already. Hey, I think that's me! ! ! No fair hitting so close to home. One more crack like that and I'm writing to abuse@photo.net.

The exception, of course, would be the POW, which would have to come from the dross pile because dogs, kids, birds, and sunsets don't have the capability to transform themselves into the required number of angles and intersecting thirds.

Could you point me to that yoga class? Perhaps I could take photos there. I'm not selling all this equipment it took a lifetime to accumulate. After all, I need something to blame if the photos don't come out.

Best Regards,

Barry

Great suggestions everybody! I have another one: if a member does not have time to take

pictures or does not want to get up early in the morning to get the best light, PN could have

a new feature : "Create a TPR photo"

If you click the button, PN will ask the category, few keywords (sunrise, water, rocks, insect,

slow shutter speed...) and then will create the picture for you. After that It will submit it to

critique automatically and add a couple of 7/7, just in case. Just think about it!

PS: PN is Photo.net not me :-)

Master Rating, Mass Debating, Mass Stir Baiting. I just can't understand the difference. Though it could explain why nudes get so much attention!

My tip! If you don't know the answer...don't ask the question. If you do ask the question...be prepared to smile through the tears. If you don't have any tissues..don't post pictures. If you do post pictures..be gratefull that ones and twos don't show.

I really do love saturday morning on Photo.net. Thanks Brian.