First wedding - should I do it?

Rod Sorensen

I apologize now for a post that will likely be a little long and

probably somewhat repetitive of previous posts.

I have a couple questions concerning a nephew's request for me to

take pictures at his wedding.

First, should I do it? Second, what can I do to help prepare myself

without needing to take an inordinate amount of time and effort

(since I have a day job and other non-work interests). My nephew and

his bride-to-be have limited financial resources. They would like

stills of their wedding and a video of their wedding. They can

afford to have one professionally done and are leaning toward doing

that for the video. My nephew knows that I "like taking pictures"

because I took some pictures of him playing baseball in college and

he saw my long telephoto, etc. I'm sure he knows I'm not a pro, but

I'm not sure he fully understands how different wedding photography

is from what I usually do - nature and a little sports. He is not

trying to just mooch off me, because he plans to pay for all the

costs and also to pay me for doing the wedding (I would likely

decline anything except my costs). In the distant past, I took

wedding pictures for a couple of college friends, but had very little

equipment and I don't think they turned out that great. I am

definitely a better photographer now, but my past poor performances

(at least in my mind) do haunt me a bit. The wedding is in

December. I am definitely nervous about doing this, but I like my

nephew and I'd like to help him out. He and his fiance are very nice

and easy going people. I think they will be happy with my best

efforts, but I don't know many of their relatives, so I don't want to

assume that they'll be happy with anything but the best. Should I do

it?

I have been a very traditional film photographer until about 18

months ago when I bought a Nikon D70. I have a moderate amount of

experience with it. I have recently been looking at the D200 and I'm

quite sure I would purchase it if I decided to do the wedding. Would

those two cameras and a SB 800 flash with plenty of CF

cards/batteries/etc. be sufficient? I have a 35-70/2.8 and 80-

200/2.8, but suspect I'd need a wider angle zoom. Any advice on

that? Lastly, are there good resources for getting some learning on

wedding photography - poses, lighting, flash techniques, etc.

Thanks much for you help.

Rod, I'll go against the grain here and tell you to go for it (I'm sure the others will tell you not to), if you are comfortable with it. You have the equipment. You might want two more things... a wider angle like you said, and a back up flash. You could get buy if one of your lenses decided to die. Make sure they know you are not a pro, and make sure they do not expect pro results. If both you and they are comfortable with it, go for it. In between time, study everything you can, and even practice some reinacting. Maybe you can even offer to assist a pro between now and then a few times to get a little experience under your belt. Read all the newcomer posts on this forum. Practice...Practice...practice. This is the same way I got into wedding photography. My sister coaxed me into it because "I liked to take pictures". Good luck.

Should you do it? Up to you. After studying the beginner/newcomers section on this forum and reading some books, you'll have a better idea whether you think you're up to it.

As long as you line up a back up, even a film camera with enough film to cover the wedding, you don't necessarily need to buy a D200 or a wider lens, unless you're looking for an excuse to buy new stuff :^) A good flash is key, however, plus a back-up flash, and I would bring a tripod even if you end up leaving it in your car trunk. Also figure out whether you will use a flash bracket as well as whether you will use a modifier on your flash. Plenty of pros and cons on those topics for you to search and read.

A couple of good books are by Steve Sint and Paul Gero. Look those up on Amazon as well as other wedding photography books.

I think that you realize that you're in over your head. The wedding is a one time thing....no 2nd chances, no excuses. If you really care for the B/G then help the family find a way to get a pro for both roles and you can take your camera and take a bunch of happy snaps. The fact that they offerred to pay you beyond your expenses implies that they see you as someone who is qualified to shoot. I would suggest that you respect that trust and repay the trust by helping them to find a qualified pro.

Rod - it sounds like you are being smart about this. Wedding photography is easy to do poorly, and it's hard to do it well without a bit of solid training.

If your friend absolutely can't afford a pro photographer, then it's okay for you to step in.

If you bought a Nikon D70 1.5 years ago, and you only have a 'moderate' amount of experience with it, you need to start using it more. Make sure that you know exposure, ISO, aperture and shutter speed and how thye all relate. Use that flash a lot so you konw how it behaves. Pracice practice practice.

This week, I borrowed two canon E-TTL wireless flashes, and I spent an hour taking 100 careful exposures and seeing how the flashes work with small changes in the settings. it was very educational - they are harder to use than I thought.

A pro is better than an amateur, but if it's you or nothing, you should do it. (by the way - a lot of people spend more time looking at photographs over video, in my experience...just a thought - maybe they want to spend less on the video...?).

conrad

Also, Rod - make sure that it is very clear that you are NOT a pro.

also - when is the wedding? if you have at least a few months, consider asking a local pro if you could help them. they may be receptive, and may not be, but it's worth a try.

IMO - 50% of wedding photography is camera stuff, 50% of it is people stuff and being a good coordinator and director. seeing a pro do it is a good way to go.

cheers - conrad

I'd say go for it, too.

I've shot two weddings, one for a good friend and one for a sister. I'm not a wedding photog - I shoot landscapes, night scenes, some whitewater kayaking, and some motorcyle racing... So like you, nature and sports. I have some experience in a studio, posing people, but there all the variables are known - it's not a wedding.

Advice:

1. Know your gear.

2. Know in advance what will be happening, and where, so you can anticipate the action - just like sports.

3. Read some library books on wedding and people photography, and then practice what you can between now and the big day.

4. Concentrate first on doing the basics well - good focus, good composition, proper lighting, good expressions. Once you're sure you've got some good photos in the can / drive that fit those criteria, then go ahead and try some of the more creative stuff from the books. The couple know you're not a pro wedding photog - if you can deliver a set of photos with the basics done well, they'll be thrilled. If you can do that, *and* some more creative stuff besides, you'll likely exceed their expectations.

5. You know the various relatives - you are one! Take advantage of the fact that you've got a bunch of nicely dressed happy people (who won't normally go to a studio), and photograph them. Grandma, grandpa, mom, dad... Sounds morbid, but the grandparents pass on, and in many cases the last good photos of older relatives are the ones at the last wedding they attended.

FWIW, my friend's wedding - I didn't know I was the photog till I arrived, and they welcomed me and mentioned that they didn't have one. Ack! The only preparation I had time for was walking the (outdoor) site and considering my shots, asking other relatives what was planned, and already knowing so many of my friend's relatives. I dreaded the job - and it was a blast. Everybody was willing to pose when asked, lighting was excellent, and my only worry was whether I'd run out of film (was shooting 120 film in rural southern Ohio, and had only planned on shooting scenery).

Oh, and long after the wedding, many of the attendees camped out at the state park where the wedding was held - and I shot B/W of many just hanging out at dusk.

New couple was thrilled.

Doug Grosjean

PS - One other thing I'd consider... a backup camera. Just in case. There's no second chance, and if you don't need it at least your mind will be at ease having it along.

Ya know, combining Schilling's advice with the other's advice may be your ticket. Work with them to find a pro for an hour or so to capture the ceremony and "formals," and you can go nuts with the rest.

One of the best thing to do between now and then is become aware of low-light situations. Don't just "practice" in your living room. If you end up at school functions or such, take along your gear and snap away.

Library. 770s. (106 for photoshop stuff - as this too will be an issue for you)

Where are you located? Any chance in seeing your work? Like posting it in your P/net space? It kind of helps giving an answer with this stuff.

The Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 is a nice lens, showing me you appreciate good glass... And the 35-70 f/2.8 ain't too shoddy, either!

I would always recommend SOME sort of backup camera, though: For wedding use, the Fuji S3 Pro (locked in Hi mode) will set you back about the same as the D200 "vaporware;" but more importantly will pick up the highlights in the bridal gown... In fact, you may end up sending the D70 to "the great eBay buyer in the sky" after you see the S3 results.

[For sports, the AF tracking of the S2 Pro & S3 Pro is only OK, since they are built on top of the N90... But for wedding use where not losing bridal gown highlights is paramount, the dynamic range of the Fuji SuperCCD exceeds that of even $30,000 PhaseOne or Leaf camera backs.]

***Don't forget*** You can rent a Very Good lens &/or dSLR for the day.

For a lens, you'll go bananas over the Nikon 24-120 "streetsweeper," now with vibration reduction (VR): It's good for wedding use; freakin' AWESOME for sports. I use one in the pit lane when I have to go wide for pitstops and zoom right in as they wreck coming off turn 4, yada yada yada...

You didn't mention what you have as a film body: If you end up with 3 lenses, bring it along and load it up with Kodak BW400CN film, which is a nice B&W film that is processed in C-41 soup, alongside conventional color print film.

Lastly, try to avoid changing lenses in the field: If you get dust bunnies, you're screwed since you'll be at your PC cloning them out for hours on end.

BY the way, if you still have that Nikon 300mm f/4.0 AF, bring it along: Long close-up shots with a telephoto can produce dramatic images, especially with ambient light &/or in B&W.

What I do when I need faraway flash is go to manual exposure and manual flash, and do it the old-fashioned way via guide number divided by distance = aperture (or GN/aperture = max distance).

[Don't try this trick with digital; but for color neg film (and C-41 chromogenic), which has a hefty tolerance to overexposure, you'll be fine.]

If you do go ahead, I'd suggest making a list of all the 'must-have' shots and the names of the people who are to be in them. You can then tick them off - physically or mentally - as you take them. Also, to help you concentrate on taking photos, do you have a wife, partner or relative who can help to get the groups together ready for you to photograph, and who can keep an eye out for crooked ties, hair out of place etc etc?

Good luck

Bill S

I say go for it and good Luck! I would just make sure that the remember and really realize that you do not consider yourself a pro and that there might be mistakse made along the way . . .(you don't have to tell them that but just make sure they understand). I had the opportunity to do a wedding last March with no experience and the couple was so good about the whole thing and loved the pics. I like you saw lots of "flaws" but they were happy so that was a big plus. You will never get better if you don't have practice so I say to take advantage of this opportunity. What area of the country are you from?

Two cents from a rank amateur: just shot my first wedding (as primary) last weekend and the smartest thing I did was hire a second shooter for part of the time (3 hours - ceremony, formals and part of the reception). The B&G waited until the last minute to get me, so my choice had to be another amateur with good equipment and experience with weddings. Between the two of us and my wife assisting we managed to cover everything. I wouldn't have made it without them - the wedding party show up to the hall late, the ceremony started late, things were going on in multiple places that I couldn't have covered alone - we divided, conquered and actually got them back on schedule by the time the reception started - and received multiple thanks on our positive attitudes.

You mentioned they can pay a professional for either still or video. From all I've read. It seem easier to shoot video than still. I'd have them pay for a professional photographer and help them out with the video (assuming you have a video camera, everybody seems to have them now).

Good luck.

Please allow me one other quick vent. I've seen a number of people post comments along the lines of: "I've never shot professionally but did do a couple of weddings for family and/or friends...." I might be more nervous of doing less than a stellar job for family/friends...than say a group of strangers who realize that I'm not a pro and are prepared for what they get. The everyday bride can become a bridezilla but Heaven help the poor soul that has to run into a bridezilla at every family function over the years. I find that often, the expectations of family can be alot higher than that of the average Joe. Family and friends rareley view our rejects and duds and more often than not they are treated to our very best, cherry-picked, images.........Yea, BTW, my first wedding was for my sister-in-law.

OK, thanks, I feel better. Good luck and God bless.

First, sorry for the lengthy response.

There are lots of good points from both sides of the "go for it" and "get out of it" arguments. IMO: if you're not being "compensated" for your services (i.e., above the cost of materials) then I don't think it's necessary to continuously beat the point that you're not a pro. Your nephew and fiancee already know that -- constantly reminding them may prime them to be disappointed in the results. Or maybe not. You know them better than any of us. The key thing is that you both are comfortable with whatever decision you make, and that you both keep realistic expectations. I wouldn't bother attempting to go on an accelerated course in a specialized area of photography. I do agree with the general comments that you want to know your chosen camera well. And I only agree with the sentiment to "help them get a professional" to the extent that it'll allow you to enjoy the wedding as a family member. Because if you're taking pictures, you're working. . .you can't fully enjoy the "reunion." Depending on your preferred approach to photography, you're either gonna think your way through the ceremony or feel your way through it. Either way, it should be what you're most comfortable with. I've never been in your position. But I have twice been the guest-with-camera-trying-to-get-good-photos-while-not-disrupting-

the-"real"-photographer(s). The first time was for my wife's cousin -- she told me that my photos (which I was happy to give them as a gift) were "better than the professional's." (To that I just assumed they unfortunately found a "bad" photographer, since I would never assume to be better than a pro!) The second time was just last month where I took "snap shots" at my friends' wedding. Here are excerpts from her email response to me:

------------------------------------------------------

Hi Asa!

Thank you sooooo much for taking pictures at the wedding. I have been meaning to get in touch with you because I was obsessed about 5 days after the wedding about the photography - I realized that I did not get portraits with my friends. I had a list that I gave the photographer, and he never came up and reminded me, and I forgot because I was having such a fun time, but you know, the picture of you and me was on my list - I wanted to be able to give you a picture, and now I don't know if we have one together. I'm vaguely remembering when you arrived, and I'm hoping that Steve took one of the two of us. But I'm unsure. My friend Kim Henke. . .told me that you took pictures of her for which I am eternally grateful because I'm sure that our photographer did not do that. I really thank you soooo much for taking photos - you're just fantastic.

--------------------------------------------------------

My point in including her own words is not only to blow my own horn (HAHAHAHA!!;-) but really to drive home the point that with the right expectations on both your parts, and as long as you help the B&G remember their wedding day, you'll be golden!! The technical stuff? I'd say just be good at the basics, which I'm sure you already have covered. If you don't have a whole lot of experience capturing candids, I'd say get started practicing that asap. Stuff happens fast at these things and not always according to plan. Just know how to "be there" when its happening. Having another "amateur with camera" there can only make it better. I only have one (more) bit of advice there. If you work with a second, or more partner, work separately to cover the whole event or be sure you communicate well with each other and the B&G. The recent wedding I attended had three pros working together (??) -- but there were several of their images that showed the B&G looking in totally different directions during some of the posed shots, which I can't believe was intentional! Don't be intimidated by not being one of the pros. They have big guns and great firing skills and always hit the target, but don't always leave a good impression! Good luck, and have fun with whatever you end up doing!!