Matting your artwork.

My opinion is if you're going for "fine art" your choices are pretty much white, cream, very light slate (basically- the whites). Colors (except for family stuff and kitch) are pretty much the sign of a beginner or amateur> Bruce Levy.

Reason you see a lot of whites/off whites in art galleries and museums is two fold. First, so one art piece doesn't compete with the one next to it. Two, even though mat board is acid free core, the color papered surface isn't, therefore there is a longevity issue.

Using colors shows creativity, rather then being amateur looking. Museums exhibit with a different set of needs (archival materials, low light, etc), while retail art stores sell "wall furniture". In this case it makes sense to offer colors, fillets, and other creative framing techniques to assist decorators (and inc sales). Remember, in less then 20 years the photo image often moves from the living room to the basement and finally to the street as we redecorate our homes (unless it's an Ansel original print...I get bored with the same image). Choose your markets, then decide if you want plain vanilla or something fancy to help sales volume. There are no rules, except that it should look great (picture and frame)

If your scene has tall ships, would you want it framed in white mat with a 1/2inch metal frame? You could do far better with darker toned mat, heavy wood 2" frame (16x20), with perhaps even one 3.5" mat and a some shade of gold fillet to set the theme. It's about enhancing your picture, about completing the story with the frame.

Sure, I use white/blacks/off white....but only if that is what the picture requires.

The mat should either compliment the picture or blend with surroundings, or both. Most importantly it keeps your print from bleeding onto the glass when framed. Cresent Very White (918) white core works well with both color and b&w and is quite economical. It seems to be the choice for many artists and photographers. It is beautifully matched with Nielsen's N97-156 (Florentine Black) square molding. I've been using Framingsupplies.com for mat board, foamcore and sleeves. Visit art shows to see what others are using.