looking to buy a new display for my PC what would you reccomend for 150 - 300 pound price range

If you buy an LCD monitor, budget for an hardware calibrator, like "Eye One Display". It will be useless for photo editing without calibration/profiling.

I've had several Viewsonic CRT monitors listed for professional graphics use which touch up well enough with Adobe Gamma. I recently purchased a Viewsonic VP191 LCD monitor which is my favorite after calibration (unusable before). Am LCD monitor is particularly nice because the screen is absolutely flat and 100% utilized (a CRT barely fills 80% of the screen). You can get flat-front CRT's too (e.g., the Viewsonic professional line), which I highly recommend.

Good luck!

Not with deciding which one to get but with actually getting one at that price.

All the standard sellers seem to only do CRT's around ᆪ60 or ᆪ400+ price range. LCD's are now influencing the market so much.

I've done a bit of research and the favoured makes for Intermediate use (i.e. your + my price range) are : Viewsonic, Samsung, Mitsubishi DiamondPlus range. Seen a refernce to an NEC monitor being very good value for money but I can't find any in the UK.

Viewsonic have a new on in their G-range (that price range) coming out sometime in March so I'm hoping a few places will stock that.

I actually don't like either Viesonic or NEC/Mitsubishi CRTs (I mean their higher end models). I find their image quality extremely inconsistent. I used to work for an art school as a PC support guy and when you see a bunch of the same monitors together you realize the consistency problems. Sony seems very consistent. There was another manufacturer that I liked - Iiyama - but the monitors were pretty old, I don't know what they are like now.... We didn't have enough Eizo or Lacie monitors to judge their consistancy.

I owned two NEC DiamondPluses myself and I hated them. They were completely different from eachother even though bought from the same vendor at the same time.