Engagement pic inspired by Doug Gordon

allen_d.

I attended a workshop about posing by Doug Gordon last week and decided to try

to apply what I have learned about "ground posing". Just wanted to share my

favorite image from an engagement shoot this weekend. I have a few more in my

engagements folder - comments are welcome. Also, concerning my previous post

about selling my 70-200IS, I'm deciding to keep it, as I shot this whole shoot

with that lens, and apparently that's the only lens Mr. Gordon uses!<div>00Gul8-30544884.jpg.ad952316b7d5119ec8f30dd5eb15f85f.jpg</div>

Ok shoot me.. but I have a few problems with this shot...

They look bored.. That is the main thing... I find that when I encourage couples to touch and interact before asking them to move into

a position - they're still warm and emotive.

I do love posing couples on the ground though and the attempt is good but just needs a bit of emotional tweaking. Also watch cutting off hands..

Keep in mind - they may love it!! My own personal taste is to capture emotions along with beauty.

I was going for something a little on the serious side on this particular pose as I have many others showing other (happy, loving) emotions. I know it's a matter of taste as well and like to be able to see/offer a variety of expressions to choose from.

It's well exposed, in focus, it has an interesting composition, it does not have a busy/cluttered background, and it has good lighting. I've seen many images on the forum that people raved about that had issues in several of the above areas. I think if we had a typical level composition with happy faces and emotion many would criticise this shot for a "cheese" factor. I think this image is folio-worthy.

The pose looks good. The picture could be further improved by better selection of clothing. My eyes were drawn to that loud color blouse. I suggest having them both in white or black shirts. The idea is to eliminate anything that draws attention away from their faces. Otherwise than that, it is a nice shot.