Great Smokey Mountains

dglickstein

I've found that the most rewarding photo ops in the Smokeys generally involve streams.

Hence I would suggest to try several of the many pull-outs along the park road and walk up

or down the stream. You should be rewarded with the most beautiful pictures of meandering

streams you could ever find.

I second the vote for Cades Cove. Lots of photogenic spots, both natural and man-made. <p>

A few miles past the Sugarland Visitors Center is a trail to Laurel Falls. It's about a mile, uphill all the way, and worth it, even if you have to snowshoe.<p>

Generally for thsoe staying on the TN side I would suggest Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. I think it's closed for the season, however.

If by good locations you mean nature photography, it's definitely Cades Cove in early morning or at dusk. Many animals, old buildings, and fantastic light. Road in follows course of rushing stream, not too many safe pull-offs, tho.

As mentioned, Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is a gem. Old buildings, many trails, lotsa streams and waterfalls. Alas, as also mentioned, may be closed for the season. Narrow one-lane, one-way loop road may be snowed/iced over. Try to come back esp in early fall to visit this great spot if you can.

If you're up for a strenuous hike, check out Chimney Tops trail, south of Gatlinburg on the road towards Cherokee NC. Even if you can't make it all the way to the top, there are many stream crossings early on.

If you're asking about good locations for people photography, well, stake out just any spot in Gatlinburg and watch the world go by. ;-)

You could check out Cherokee Village, the Blue Ridge Parkway, a side trip to Bryson City for a ride on their train, side trips to Blowing Rock and Linville Gorge, Ashville and the Biltmore Estate, numerous waterfalls in North Carolina are very close. Have fun, it's a beautiful part of this country.

First, get out of Gatlinburg! It's tourist toxin! Second, be aware of the weather. 41" (164 cm) of snow in the peaks yesterday. Be aware that the Blue Ridge parkway, the Roaring Forks Motor nature Trail and the Clingman's Dome road are all closed in the winter, till March at least. The main road through the park (441) opens and closes with the weather. You can get to Clingman's Dome, but it's a 7 mile hike each way ... watch the weather! The Clingman's Dome road starts at Newfound gap, in the center of the park at the TN/NC border. The views from there can be great. Tonight and tomorrow, there should be a full moon. You can watch the moon rise on one side just as the sunsets on the other. Incredible!

Cade's cove is overphotographed but unmissable. Check out Tipton Farm, the Mill and the Oliver Cabin. If you have time, the hike to Abrahams Falls (on the far west end of the Cade's Cove loop) rewards you with one of the best falls in the park. A strenuous hike (8 mile round trip but hard) is Ramsey Cascades. You start from Greenbriar. They are about 100 feet high and ice covered this time of year. Spectacular. The aforementioned Chimney top is crowded, but nice.

Less crowded spots include Big Creek (east side of 40) with the beautiful Midnight Hole and Mouse Creek Falls and Treemont (easily accessible and beautiful streams and cascades).

Don't stick to the park though. Try Burgess Falls and Fall Creek Falls (about two hours east in central TN) or Bald River Falls (one of the most beautiful and accessible falls in TN). Great views from the tower on Look Rock (just off the Foothills Parkway but may be difficult with current weather).

Lastly, don't miss Knoxville! Tune your radio to 89.9 (WDVX) to hear great independent, local, bluegrass and country. Try to grab a beer and a pizza at Barley's in the Old City (go on Sunday when you can see Robinella, a great local "jazzgrass" band) or get a brunch as Sunspot on "the strip" (Cumberland Av).

Obviously, I live here. You can see some local shots in my portfolio and feel free to email me (billyverona@hotmail.com) if you need any more info.