Scaning entire piece of film

I've been shooting 35mm film in a 6x6 camera, so that the entire

piece of film is exposed, sprocket holes and all. This results in

at least a 6 cm long negative (sometimes longer, if I overlap

exposures). My question is: how do I scan these shots and include

the entire exposed area? My Super Coolscan 4000ED is incapable of

this. What scanner can I purchase that will do this? Any help

appreciated.

Dedicated film scanners for medium formt that have a glass holder may also be an option. Most holders will do at least 6x9, some longer. If you have lots of frames strung together without a gap, then you will have to cut and scan as individual pieces or look at flatbeds which can scan longer strips.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro.html">Dougs

MF Film Holder for batch scanning of 120/220 medium format film with flatbeds</a>

I have an Epson flatbed/film scanner, and the scans I get are wonderful. However, the film holders that come with it aren't right for what you want to do. The one for medium format will hold up to 8 or 9 cm but it is 6 cm wide so the 35mm film would just be loose in there. The 35mm film holder has "windows" for each frame, so your shots would have the "bar" across them. And the software assumes that the film is standard sized frames if you are using the "transparency" mode. If you use the standard flatbed mode, the upper light is not on and you can't do film.

I'm sure there are ways around all this, but you need to know about this before you drop $$$ on a scanner.

good luck

John

The 4490's light source is long enough for 120 mm but the holder isn't. The 4990 is long enough and its holders have three 120 wide apertures. My question is how are you going to attach your film? You don't have any edges along the side that you can tape because you want to include the images out through the sprocket holes, right? You said you don't have frame gaps at times on the end because they actually overlap, so how are you going to attach them there? It seems like your only choice might be to wet mount them.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro.html">Dougs

MF Film Holder for batch scanning of 120/220 medium format film with flatbeds</a>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Love the image too. You could also use scanner mounting fluid with a glass overlay. The fluid with the glass will eliminate newton rings, scatches, reduce grain, and give better saturation. You may need to buy drum cleaner as well and ofcourse the best film cleaner I know PEC-12 for the neg in case you have any residue after evaporation. Apply the mounting fluid with a spray bottle. It may sound bad , but it's not. Kami 2000 products is what we use at the lab here at I. Wunder Photographics.