Posting of Comments to Images in Foreign Languages

billangel

While I think that it's great that photo.net has attracted an

international membership, it is difficult for us poor souls who are

literate in only one language (namely English) to comprehend comments

posted in foreign languages images of other photographer's . Is there

any policy concerning the use of languages other than English by

photo.net members when contributing comments to images? Thanks.

Comments in English are preferred, simply because of that fact that it's the language most likely to be understood by everyone, even non-native English speakers. If a non-native English speaker has a second language, it's most likley going to be English. [i know more people speak Chinese than English, but I do not think photo.net has a sizable viewership in China!]

However there is no prohibition on posting in another language,as long as you stick the the photo.net rules about staying on subject and not being offensive.

I used to work with people from all over the world so I won't knock the non-english users. The Spanish comments are interesting to follow because much of the language is now common in the US.

From past travel abroad, I believe that some people may be using the website to practice their Engish reading and writing skills. Economically in many countries, there are educational and employment incentives to be able to pass the TOEFL (a standardized language test).

It is not the case that the main purpose of the comments is to be read by the photographer. Private messages intended only for the photographer would be better sent via email. Comments on photos are intended to be read by, and to inform, interest, instruct, enlighten, the wide audience of the site. In other words, the comments threads on photos, portfolios, and presentations are not supposed to be a "Guest Book" where one writes comments intended only for the photographer. It is supposed to be a discussion of the photo This is why short "Wow", (or less complimentary) etc, comments should not be posted on photos. If you just want to say you like the photo, and don't have anything more to say than "Wow" (etc), then just put a rating on it.

Because it is supposed to be a discussion, people should try to post in English if they are capable of it, since that makes the comment accessible to the wide audience of the site. Using English is preferable to using the language of the photographer, even if you share a mother tongue with the photographer.

If the commenter is not comfortable with written English, then writing the comment in another language is acceptable, but English is preferable.

Artistic criticism is one of those activities of communication that requires quite precise command of language. I would not blame a person for extending his comments in his native language unless he was very comfortable with English. to those who are, I certainly extend kudos; to those who aren't, I certainly understand.

I'm not an English native speaker and I do feel fairly comfortable using this language. But, I do comment in my native language (Portuguese), when the fellow photographer speaks my own language. The reason is that you will never be able to express yourself so well in a second language as in your native one, unless your level of the second language is *perfect*.

I understand that this is a US based website and that the vast majority of users can speak English, but I find the tone of this post (Bill's) very arrogant. It would be a very perverse thing to oblige people to comment only in ONE language. I'm sure there is space for everyone, even for those who have very limited knowledge of English to benefit from the use of this great website and to contribute greatly to it. After all, aren't photographs written in a universal language - the light?

<p>ALEXANDRE GUERRA wrote: <blockquote>"I understand that this is a US based

website and that the vast majority of users can speak English, but I find the

tone of this post (Bill's) very arrogant."</blockquote> </p>

I don't think that my post would fit the usual definition of very "arrogant" i.e.<br>

<strong>arrogant</strong><br>

<i>adj</i>

<blockquote>1. Said of someone or their behavior: aggressively and offensively self-assertive; having or showing too high an opinion of one's own abilities or importance; impudently over-presumptive.</blockquote>

In my opinion your remarks, however, could be characterized as an example of what has come to be termed in english as <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming">internet flaming</a> i.e <br>

<strong>flaming</strong><br>

<i>noun</i>

<blockquote>

Flaming is the act of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting, usually in the social context of a discussion board (usually on the Internet).

</blockquote>

OK, I shouldn't have said <i>very</i> arrogant, but a <i>bit</i> arrogant. I maintain though, that the ideas behind your post are arrogant as you can verify yourself if you read closely the definition you've put above. Thanks for the definition of 'flaming', didn't know that one yet.

Bill and Alexandre. To tell you the truth I think you're both right. I understand Alexandre point of view when he states that is much easier to express feelings in your native language. I have no doubts about this Alexandre. I did this on a few photos and coincidently in one of yours. I also understand Bill issue or question. If PN is a community it's important for everybody to understand each other. Didn't look for the English definition of community tough. I'm only getting references from my limited experience in life. I guess Brian's and Bob's comments are very clear. At least to me that as a recent member never raised this question nor looked for any policy on this. I'm now enlightened about the rules of "making comments" and I agree with them. English is preferable but not mandatory. If they were mandatory I guess Credit Cards would also have to follow the same rule.

As to automatic translators they're fine for simple things but not for express complex feelings or long critiques.

Alexandre, I do have to mention that your English is perfect. Probably a lot better than most native English speakers. I feel we should all be tolerant and accepting of each other's languages. If someone is nice enough to leave me a comment and it's not in English, than I get it translated. No big deal.

So I am touched by this comment on Foreign Languages :)

I am speaking fluently French and English and even some Italian, but my mother language is Serbian!

I have to say that all my comments are in english, or sometimes in French or Italian for those from France and Italy :) but I am trying to comment all in english, but sometimes, our fellow photographers from Italy dont speak any other language as for your dear Bill, only English, you are the lucky one :) cause English is the International language, but for the rest of the PN Community that is not obvious!

I am using my mother language only in some cases, when I want to explain better to my serbian or croatian friend some facts on my photographs, otherwise I am using English, so I think that this cannot be an important ISSUE, especially that THERE ARE SO LITTLE REAL COMMENTING ON PHOTO NET :(

So, I think the whole International Community on PN is really trying so hard to use ENGLISH!

At least when a question is asked in English, I will give the answer in english, otherwise I will choose the appropriate language and I think that this is called DEMOCRACY in ENGLISH :):)

Dont you worry Bill :)

My best regards,

Salutations,

Saluti,

Pozdrav,

Biliana

Sometimes I post comments in Portuguese, or even in French, when I realize the author's native language but I consider I have the duty to other members to be understood so, even having a very poor English, I try to write in that barbarian language. Lol!

Good question here. i think there is no harm to write comments in other language on pn. if someone has any problem to translate those its very easy to find translator on internet. here is the one example. http://www.freetranslation.com

the problem is some of my fellow members even don know their own language, i don mention any name here but ever i translate their comment in english so hard to read those most of the words are very, i, me excellent etc. lol

plz no offense.

Regards