Shutter Squeak question

grain

Given that any A series body is in otherwise great shape, how

long can the lubrication of the flywheel that supposedly fixes the

squeak problem be expected to hold up?

I shoot a LOT, and don't want it quitting on me somewhere in

Nova Scotia this summer.

If you've had it done and have some timeline of how many rolls

have gone through it since I'd much appreciate the info.

A.

On average, a routine CLA service can be expected to keep an A-Series camera functioning properly for about 10-15 years of normal use, sometimes as much as 20 years, presuming of course the camera isn't stored in a harsh environment (i.e., the trunk of your car all summer/winter). What's considered "normal" in terms of frequency of use? A roll every month or two, I would presume. I guess you'd have to figure out for yourself what your equivalent usage rate (no. rolls/month or year) equates to in this context...

The lubrication that relieves the infamous "Canon squeak" should be expected to hold up for that period of "normal" use, presuming again that the camera isn't stored improperly. Extreme heat/cold will break down the lubricant more quickly, but simply using the camera on hot or cold days will probably not reduce the life expectancy of the lubricant significantly.

For what it's worth, I bought an AE-1 new way back in 1978; it got its first CLA around 1996 when the light seals began to deteriorate -- but it never developed the "Canon squeak." I'd say by my own metric, it got less than "normal" use during that period (perhaps 2-3 rolls of film per year through it on average). I've since bought other A-Series bodies for my collection; some had the "squeak" when I took them in for a CLA around the 15-20 year mark in their life, some didn't. Some that had the "squeak" were used pretty regularly, but one was a new-in-the-box A-1 that was completely unused. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to what causes the "squeak" to develop...

Hope this helps!

I have had my A-1 since 1982 and have had to bring it in for squeak CLA twice in its life. Last one was Oct of last year. It developed its first squeak about 2 years after purchase but was in heavy use during a prolonged stay in Europe. It started its second singing about a year ago but since I do not use it as much, I put it off until late last year.

I would say that during the period of "normal" use, it lasted from 84 to around 04/05 timeframe. That is around 20 years, give or take my failing memory :-)

Great camera. Still like using it.

Walter

My dad's AE-1 Program had the shutter squeak from sometime after he bought it (he's forgotten when - never really was an avid photographer) until we had it CLA'd in 1997. Has worked quietly and wonderfully since then - still going strong, even with me running about three or four rolls through it every month (on average). If you take it to a reputable repair shop, I'm sure it will last AT LEAST a decade or more.