Extension Cords for Canon Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3

snakeroot

I have one Canon Extension Cord ET-1000N3 for the TC-80N3, which is

33 feet long. Anyone aware of how many extension cords can be strung

together for remote operation? I assume there's a limit, but 9 or 10

would be a nice distance for wildlife photography.

I guess another option would be the pocketwizard system.

<p>

I used to do this with a Remote Switch 60 T3 (the remote cord for EOS 600-series cameras). I cut the RS60 T3 in half and soldered in mini-jack connectors, so that I could extend it with standard headphone mini-jack cables, which was much cheaper than using the official Canon long extension cord. The longest length I ever used was around 100 feet, but I see no reason why it would not have worked with much longer lengths. I would think the TC-80N3 works the same way (the only signals it needs to send to the camera are those for triggering autofocus and firing the shutter, so its cable probably contains just three wires, like my old RS60 T3). All it needs to do is to complete a circuit (it's not as if any complex data is being sent down the wire), so I would guess that 300 feet would not be a problem.

</p>

<p>

My modified RS60 T3 now sits around gathering dust, as I no longer have a compatible camera. If I wanted to do the same kind of thing with my 20D, I'd probably look into some kind of wireless solution (which I'm sure others will recommend here too). But the wired solution was certainly very reliable (if rather cumbersome).

</p>

I do exactly the same as Gerry with my Adidt clone RS-80N3 remote shutter release (see photo). I use it with 8', 20' and 100' headphone extenders (the 100' is actually made of telephone wire - much cheaper). You can also use the headphone extender on your 20D video out cord with no mods, so you can hook up the camera to a TV and sit back to enjoy it. Jim.

Thanks Jim for the suggestion. I think the Pocketwizard MultiMAX is a reasonable choice for my purposes. I know of several osprey nests that be will active soon in my immediate area and need to set up a remote camera station with flash capability at night with my 500/f4 and 1.4x, mabye just the 500 and get outta Dodge. I plan to sit in a blind 500 yards away to not disturb the birds, and document egg to fledgling and first flight stills. I have blind building and perch construction on my agenda for next week.

My goal is not to disrupt the rearing process in any way, but to get some exposures that might cause the elitists on this site to remove their watermarks. Give me some time to learn and do this mehtod. Lack of disruption of the birds will be key.

I need to set up some things prior to spring mating and birthing, but I think the Pocketwizard might be invaluable in terms of image capture without human presence. I may set feeding stations well removed from the nest.

The obvious advantage of this whole thing being wireless speaks for itself, and the reason I've stopped looking at extension cords. As they say "We have the technology" and will get whatever else is needed for a successful series. I am very interested in quad channel utility and rear curtain displays. I am investing heavily into this sideline, as I see it a challenge for learning and execution.

As one member pompously chided once, I have "infinite knowlege of everything", but balderdash. I'm just trying to get some pictures to complete commercially. Don't need the $$ but have the motivation. I want to compete in commercial nature photography for the sake of competing. I want to share my work commercially and perhaps find a sideline career.

Watch for details. I'm looking for bald eagle nests, bear dens and whitetail births. I'm a very experience woodsmand, and look forward to the pockewizards for the hunt.

Regards, Mike

Thanks for you response.

Mike,

Good luck. It sounds like an excellent project and you have the right attitude to do it without disrupting the birds. I have a Bald Eagle nest nearby which I have stayed away from during the birth and rearing of the eaglets. I hope to do a similar project within a year or two, but first I have to get used to the Nikkor*ED 400/3.5 which I will be using until I can afford the EF 500 or 600/4. Please let me know how it goes, either on or offline. Thanks, Jim.