bronica etrsi vs. gs1

c_erwik

I have a choice to get either one of these systems at a similar price. I am a beginner who will use this for

outdoor/lower light handheld shots of family, enviromental portraits...mostly black and white, some color.

What are advantages of one system over the other.

FWIW I have found that the etrsi really isn't about low light or handheld shots - I generally use a tripod and low speed film to take advantage of tonality and wonderful enlargement capabilities.. To me, lowlight and handheld shots are fine venue for 35mm.

Stephen is right. Neither of these systems is for low light. But you can do it with MF. Both Bronica systems use leaf shutters. For fast lenses you need a focal plane shutter.

Get a Mamiya 645 and the 80mm F/1.9. It is a nice lens (I have one). Costing quite a bit more is the Hasselblad 110mm f/2 that is used with 2000 and 200 series cameras. I am fortunate to have a 110mm and it is one great lens.

In either case you will need fast 400 or 800 speed film. Kodak and Fuji make good C41 films and for B&W Ilford has a good selection of 120 films.

If the cost seems too high, price out a 35mm system. I also use Olympus OM gear and there are plenty of speed lenses available for it. Or consider a rangefinder such as a used Leica, Canon, or Voigtlander and some fast lenses.

Good luck!

Neither camera seems to be the best choice for what you want to do. They are both great cameras but consider the following factors:

1) Low light focusing is not exactly easy with MF screens and generally slow lenses (f/2.8 or f/3.5).

2) GS-1 is heavy, 4.5 pounds base weight, add a pound for the prism (a must if you want to shoot verticals), add another pound for the grip (pretty much a must for shooting handheld).

3) Focusing helicoids are long (for precise focusing) which means you may be still spinning the barrel when the once-in-a-life-time moment has already passed.

But, if those two cameras are your only options, then based on what you plan to shoot, I'd say get the ETRSi.

For hand-held low light buy a different camera.

I think the ETRS will have somewhat faster lenses than the GS-1.

GS-1 has 100mm f3.5 and if you can find it 80mm f3.5. The fastest of the bunch for a GS-1.

For the least dollars to do this job. The Mamiya 645 1000s with 80mm f1.9.

35mm Voigtlander rangefinder by Cosina has fast glass and easy to use handheld.

I have a GS-1 system and have used it hand-held (with the prism and the speed grip). Hand-held is OK if the lighting is good, and for some travel work it's the only way -- e.g., at some pueblos in the southwest. But if I'm traveling in places where tripods are either hard to use or are forbidden, I'll take a Leica M with me as well in case the lighting is not sufficient.

Generally MF hand-held is NOT the medium for low-light photography. That's simply not its strength, just as tack-sharp 16x20 prints are not the strength of 35mm.

Have you had a chance to handle either camera? I recently picked up an ETRS, and I'm very happy with it. I went with that over a 6x7 camera, because I still wanted to be able to reasonbly handhold the camera and use it basically like a big 35mm camera. And that's basically how it handles -- like a big chunky 35mm camera (w/ the speedgrip and prism).

I honestly don't think you'd want to try and handhold anything much larger *on a regular basis*. I'm not saying it can't be done and plenty of people probably do it, but overall for family shots, lowlight shots, quick portraits, etc., if you're doing that stuff on a regular basis, I would definitely go for the ETRS.

I have a Bronica ETRS and an SQ-A and have never even thought of using them without a tripod. You might try using handheld with the mirror locked up and a very steady grip, but mostly they are designed to give best results with a tripod. An alternative might be to try a good twin lens reflex like a Rolleiflex, Minolta Autocord, or a Yashica Mat. Suspending the camera from a strap around your neck and bracing it against your abdomen can keep it very steady. Also, there is no "mirror slap". I have gotten good results in low light this way.

I used to shoot with my ETRS handheld all the time, and the results were usually superb. I had the speed grip with the AEII finder and the 75mm EII lens. I also used a tripod with it but most of the time I used it handheld. Great little system. Also worked well with my Vivitar 285 and a bounce card.

Dave