Amelia Earhart's Kodak Duo-620 Query

Gene - was that apart from Elvis, Jimmy Dean and Buddy Holly, who were all with Amelia when you met her? Seriously though, I didn't realise there were so many "Conspiracy Theories" about the disappearance of Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra on 2nd July 1937, until I started doing some serious Googlin' about her camera. Just about the only one I didn't find was about her being abducted by aliens in UFOs. For anyone with several hours to spare, try a google search for "amelia earhart", you'll be amazed just how many weird and wacky theories there are out there ......... Of course, the one damn thing I couldn't find was positive confirmation about her camera. ~~PN~~

Peter:

Amelia Earhart's attempted flight on March 20, 1937 resulted in a takeoff accident that damaged her aircraft. It was shipped to California for repair. On March 26, 1937 an Army service member inventoried the contents of the aircraft. That official record is posted on the Tighar website:

http://www.tighar.org/

The inventory is here: (Luke Field Inventory under Research Documents)

http://www.tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Documents/Luke_Field.html

It shows a Kodak camera, film and case:

"Package containing 23 rolls Pan-chromatic Kodak film, SS 620"

"Kodak Duo Six-20, lens No. 865715 with carrying case, shutter housing No. 5116031, Film loaded 19 *1"

"Kodak carrying case with Key, Empty"

Hope that answers your question.

-Paul

Wow!! Thanks, guys - and especially Paul S. - for all your input on Amelia and her camera. It now confirms what I suspected from looking at the fuzzy enlargements of the Purdue University's photo archive, about it being a Duo-620. By the way, the Acting Head of Archives at PU has replied to an email from me regarding the "Duo-620 Conundrum". She agrees that it LOOKS like a Duo-620, but they're not 100% certain. However, she did confirm that Amelia had worked briefly as a professional photographer when she was younger, so the complexities of handling a Duo-620 wouldn't have been a problem for her. That Purdue Uni's photo archive is well worth a look, guys, if you've got a couple of hours to spare .... ~~PN~~

• 6 years later...

<p>Having pretty well established that we have AE's earlier (1934) Kodak 620-Duo, series 1 camera, supposedly destroyed in a fire at the Putnam residence around Thanksgiving 1934, I can tell you this 'singed version' Art Deco model was both photographed in the aviatrix hands, and that George Putnam bought her a 1937 version (series 2) which was photographed in her hands multiple times, during both R-T-W attempts, including AE and Noonan's last photo at Lae, New Guinea. If and when this second camera, or its identifiable parts are located - the world will know the answer to an enduring mystery.<br>

Unfortunately, Kodak was not a sponsor of any of the Earhart records or attempts; did not keep records of individual camera owners, and possibly dozens of photos were taken with the earlier camera. Certainly, there are well over 50 which seem to have no photographer/author. These are mostly of a personal nature; many without even an aircraft in the background for reference... while they include a few of other members of the "99's", most have subjects dealing ordinary people and places, or a perhaps friend taking a photo of Amelia with her 620-DUO series 1.<br>

We do know however that AE was the subject of two well-known photographers; the first, introduced by "Pancho" Barnes, an eccentric aviatrix friend, was Gorge Hurzell and he became famous for his portraiture's of Hollywood stars, and what better way to combine adventure and screen queens & kings in publicity shots. George Putnam later hired Walter Bresnik to glamorize the the great adventure of the world's equatorial circumnavigation... these are the most familiar photographs to two generations still waiting for answers to the mystery of AE's & her navigator, Fred Noonan's disappearance in the vast Pacific.</p><div>00aEM7-455571584.jpg.4f386eae216e23d3d49f30ed4246895e.jpg</div>