Digital M. First pictures!

miles1

"It is constantly amazing to see how many people come onto this site just to bash Leica."

I like Leica. I like Siberian tigers and Great Blue whales, too. All the last of their respective

breeds.

Yes, I will bash Leica. But I'll also bash Panasonic, Nikon, Konica - Minolta - Sony, and

hell, even Canon occasionally. But Leica isn't holy - it's just a company that is getting

increasingly desperate and like a crack addict in the back of a squad car, will tend to

babble about anything if it might help.

"It is constantly amazing to see how many people come onto this site just to bash Leica. "

I'm an equal opportunity basher. When a company a company tells its customers for THREE YEARS that "the digital M is coming!" and then consistently fails to produce it, I think bashing is in order.

If they'd never made any promises in the first place, then fine, I wouldn't say a thing. But when they leak the Stefan Daniel info about the Digital M and then fail to produce ANY FURTHER INFORMATION, let alone a model or mock-up at PMA, I think bashing is in order.

It should be said that they're hardly the first company to do this, particularly in the digital age. But that doesn't make it right or exempt them from criticism.

As I wrote above, I'm lusting after a digital rangefinder and would like nothing more than for them to ACTUALLY PRODUCE THE MODEL THEY SAID THEY WILL. Epson/Cosina - over two years ago - put the lie to all of the reasons people advanced for why it couldn't or wouldn't be done. At this point, Leica needs to either $hit or get off the pot.

Leica should be more like Canon - instead of babbling on and on about their

wunderproduct that will come out sometime before the sun implodes, they should just shut

the hell up and introduce a product once it's done and ready to ship to stores.

I suppose you can't build up hype that will generate investments to prop up your sinking

ship with a hypeless release though.

• 1 month later...
Hello, I would like to add to this... I love the leica camera line and I wish to continue using them but if leica comes up with a digital back 10 meg or better for all the M series or leica comes up with a digital M that is under 2000 US I would jump on it and sell off all my cameras...Marco

The DMR/R9 combination costs about 5000 GB Pounds. That is a benchmark for at least how much a Digital M will cost here in the UK.

I would guess somewhere between 5000 and 10,000 GB pounds depending on whether people want a A La Carte MP styled version or a 'basic' model.