Weird M6TTL QUestion

robert_meyers

It looks like I will finally be picking up an M, a M6TTL. So here

is my weird question. Are there any lenses that is cannot use? I

can find boatloads of info on the M6 Classic, and almost as much on

the MP and M7, but the M6TTL is slightly different� and since I

won�t actually have the camera in my hands for a couple months, I do

not want to buy something that just won�t work. Examples include

the collapsible lenses. Do those work ok?

Thanks!

Robert: To my knowledge, all of the lenses will mount on the camera, except possibly the 50 DR Summicron. The 50 DR has problems with some bodies, but not all. Some obscure lenses will not meter properly, for example the 1st version 28 Elmarit, 15 Zeiss Hologon and the early 21 Super Angulon. I have not heard of problems with the collapsible lenses (50 and 90). I used a 50 Collapsible on an M6 Classic without problems. Lens mounting is basically the same on the M6, M6TTL, M7 and MP. The CL and M5 have more issues.

Cheers.

Au contraire: While the collapsible Summicron is not quite up to the performance of later rigid versions, the collapsible feature is certainly worth consideration if compactness is an issue with the user as it is with me. If speed is not a problem, the collapsible 50 Elmars are exceptionally compact and ergonomic as well as very low cost. I agree that there might be some problems with the DR Summicron due to the increased height of the M6TTL, and I have heard reports of some interference with some protuberance on one of the later M's, but other than the early 28 & 21's most lenses for the other M's are compatible. Additionally you have a wide choice of any LTM lens and adaptor ring. I suggest you make your choice dependent on your modus operandi.

Another post in praise of the 1st version collapsible Summicron on an M6. Great combo, it

was my first lens (though I'm still a "newbie" I think). Sometimes I worry about bumping the

RF cam with the mount flange when mounting, so I usually un-collapse it, focus it at

minimum, mount it, then focus back to infinity and collapse. This is more of a user issue for

me personally, and not any kind of incompatibility. It's a great walk-around lens and very

pocketable w/o a hood (though it benefits _a lot_ from a hood since it is admittedly a bit

flare-prone). The other thing I love about this lens is the deeply recesssed rear element

when extended -- makes a great loupe for looking at contacts!

<i>"... To my knowledge, all of the lenses will mount on the camera, except possibly the 50 DR Summicron. ..."</i>

<p>The DR Summicron will mount perfectly, just as any other M-mount lens, or LTM lens with adapter. The only thing you have to do is detach the plastic tab on the DR's eyes (with a screwdriver), as it gets in the way of the M6TTL and M7 bodies, as they are 2mm taller than other M bodies. This takes all of 10 seconds and with an ordinary screwdriver. The plastic tab on the eyes is designed to hold the eyes in a level position, aligned with the M body's finders. There is no problem to use them without the tab.

<p>PS. Many a Leica fanatic/purist/fondler has lost sleep over the 2mm difference.

<i>PS. Many a Leica fanatic/purist/fondler has lost sleep over the 2mm difference.</i><p>

True, but there is one consequence of the taller top plates for the M6TTL and M7 - it mucks up the framing if you want to use brightline finders which slide into the flash shoe. Not so bad for 28mm or 35mm finders, pretty bad though for 50mm and above. See the Leica FAQ topic I have at:<p>

<a href="http://www.nemeng.com/leica/027ba.shtml">

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/027ba.shtml</a>