advice on flash

nuria_tomas

When the FM2 was very popular (at its introduction), probably 75% or more of them mounted a Vivitar 283 flash. There is no real reason to spend money on 'dedication' or dedicated flashes as the only thing you gain is a ready light in the viewfinder.

Having said that, the 'computerized' flashes offer tremendous flexibility. Something like a Nikon SB-28 ($79 in 'bgn' from keh.com) has bounce, swivel, 'any f-stop you like' auto mode, and covers a number of different focal lengths efficiently.

I wrote up a page on flash basics that might interest you:

http://www.thepeaches.com/photography/Basic_Flash.html

Check out the Nikon SB-22. It's smaller than the 28 with a simpler interface, and the light is not as blindingly bright. It also has a bounce feature, which is very handy.

Prices for used Nikon speed lights are so low that it doesn't make sense to buy a third party brand. Also, going with Nikon allows you to take advantage of the TTL feature -- let Nikon's engineering do the work for you and you get nice exposures every time. I suggest you do a google search on 'how to use nikon flash' and you'll get a bunch of sources, if you want to use the net. Otherwise, tons of books at the library. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The FM2 doesn't do TTL with a flash. That's why I initially suggested a non-dedicated unit (then retraced to the SB-28).

The SB-22 is smaller and cheaper (half the price) than the -28, but it's also 1/4 the power (two stops less). This can be a big deal if you use it for bounce. With either flash in 'auto mode', the light is only as 'blindingly bright' as it needs to be.

Oops, my bad on the TTL for the FM2. (Guess I shouldn't post after midnight.) However, stay with the Nikon speed lights -- great value in today's used market. And if you upgrade to a later model body (short of digital), you'll be all set. Cheers.

I'd get an SB-24,25 or 26 and use it in A (Auto) mode. Works like a charm, will do TTL on other nikon TTL film bodies and is better built and more powerful than the Vivitar 283 for roughly the same cost.