Christchurch

kahkityoong

I am going with a friend to Christchurch New Zealand in September for a conference and was hoping to

get some landscapes too. It will be a fairly short trip and time will be limited as photography is not the

main focus. Are there any easily accessible places around the area that are worthwhile visiting for

landscapes? Thank you.

Your closest and best opportunities will be on the Banks Peninsula. This is east of

Christchurch about an hour or so. If the weather is good, it will be beatiful. Be sure to get

to the east bays and take the Summit Road. Akaroa is pretty, touristy, and worth seeing.

Be sure to explore a bit, get out and walk, and take some dirt roads. You be pleased at

what you'll find.

I should have mentioned that to the west (about 2 hours) is the Arthur's Pass area which

gives you a taste of the Southern Alps. There will (no doubt) be alot of snow on the high

trails in September but would still be a nice drive. Along the way are Castle Rocks, an

interesting area of limestone rock that "boulderers: frequent.

Here's a pic of Castle Rocks

One of my favourite places in that area is Birdlings Flat. It's where the southern part of Banks Peninsular (see above) meets the coast. The beach is gravel - all rounded pebbles semi polished from the wave action. Many are coloured and some are gemstones - agates etc come down the rivers from the alps and the tides carry them up to the 'corner' where they are stopped. Also, the beach is very steep and in the 'right' weather conditions is very dramatic. I have only once seen it totally calm. In a southerly or SE swell the waves really pound in, seemingly alomst at your feet. So great photos if you like that sort of thing.