focusing in a dark studio with just modeling light

tony_black1

Profoto has decent modeling lights (can't remember the wattage offhand). The brightness can be adjusted... are the modeling lights dialed up all the way or are they turned down. I've used Profoto's in a dark studio with just the modeling lights and focus was no problem.<p>

Also, what is the max aperture on the lens you're using? If it's like f/4 or f/5.6 then you'll have a dimmer view than if you used a lens with an aperture of f/2.8 or faster.

Profoto 7B is the battery powered Profoto, right? 100W modelling lights? Don't they cut off

after 20 seconds to conserve battery power? It's been a while since I rented the 7B, and that

was only for exterior location shoots where I didn't need a modelling light. I guess you're

running it off mains power? If you've got the electricity, then other packs/heads (with 250W

modelling lights) would be more suitable.

they only have 100w modeling light. i just wanted to try it at home but no luck for focusing if i close the curtains and make the room dark. and the modeling light goes off after several seconds. everybody says profoto 7b is the best product in the market but nobody talks about the downsides. if i cant focus in a dark place so whats good about this 7b?

The next step up from a 7B, if you need brighter modelling lights, is to use a generator,

but then that's REALLY heavy.

The whole point of the 7B is that it is a location light for use in places where there is no

mains electricity.

Sounds like you were trying to use it as a regular studio light - in which case it's the wrong

light for the job. But if you're shooting a model halfway up a mountain it's the right light -

providing you have a donkey to carry the pack.

As battery powered flashes go, the 7B is the best.

<I>verybody says profoto 7b is the best product in the market but nobody talks about the

downsides. if i cant focus in a dark place so whats good about this 7b? ...</I><P>It isn't

intended for studio shooting. try a profoto Acute 1200R instead pack and head system

instead.<P><I>

thank god i rent it today.... i tried beauty dish and the standard zoom reflector. nothing

amazing. i think you can get pretty much the same results with any flash.<P></I>Practice

makes perfect. Not knowing what you doing in a kitchen makes hash of even the best

beef.

Its been said already, but the 7b is a battery pack best suited to location work. The modeling light isnt bright (saves battery) and you need to turn it on after every shot. I have seen assistants hold flashlights for focusing. Thats not the worst solution... The best thing is to use studio equipment like Pro 7's in the studio and keep the 7b's for location. The 7b is a wonderful light source but its not exactly the best tool for all situations.