50mm macro lens and digital crop factor

david lloyd

I've just acquired a boxed 50mm Sigma macro in new condition for less than half retail price. I've not

received it yet, but I've a question regarding it and the digital camera crop factor...

The general consensus here is on PN is that a 105mm macro is easily favorable over a 50mm (for bugs

and things of that ilk). But what happens on digital cameras? Does the magnification ratio remain the

same,

and do I now have the equivalent of a 75mm macro on my Nikon d70s?

Many thanks for any insights...

Optically nothing changes if you crop the frame.

And so you will still have the short working distance of a 50mm macro lens. NOT a 100mm macro by any means. No sensible way to shoot bugs, sorry. But of course the magnification cannot change either. Optics are laws of physics and the world, sorry again, but so it is.

David, don't get riled by certain comments: you do not need to justify your purchases to us (unless we have reason to believe the item is stolen - which, at this time, we don't). Enjoy your new lens!

Sigma's 50mm macro is very good. When you use it on a 1.5X crop DSLR, the magification does not change. However, since the sensor is smaller, compared to full frame, you do have longer working distant if all you want is fill the entire frame with a 36mm butterfly. In that sense (relative to viewfinder only), the 50mm does become a 75mm.

I use a 50mm Sigma Macro on my Pentax DS with a 1.5 focl length factor so that translates to a 75mm macor lens. The 105mm Kiron Macro (reputed to be equivilent to the Lester Dine 105) puts me at a tad over 150mm Macro. Good enough for government work. Wish I had a tripod to match.

I use a 50mm Sigma Macro on my Pentax DS with a 1.5 focl length factor so that translates to a 75mm macor lens. The 105mm Kiron Macro (reputed to be equivilent to the Lester Dine 105) puts me at a tad over 150mm Macro. Good enough for government work. Wish I had a tripod to match.

I'm not the stealthiest guy in the world, so to me, to shoot bugs or insects, a 50mm (or 55mm and 60mm) macro is too short, DSLR or not. Even a 105mm just about barely long enough. From my own experience, IF I know I'm going after bugs, I reach for my 200mm macro.

Probably not such a good lens for bugs as you will have to be very very close to get good magnification. I got this lens coz I wanted a macro I could take hiking where weight had to be kept to a minimum, for that it is great.