For those who experience the four seasons...

todd1664878707

What service business would NOT discount in the off-season to drum up business.

The Overhead "Taxi Meter" is running, whether you sit at home and play Solitaire with yourself, are at a bridal show, or are out shooting for profit.

You snooze, you lose.

Dan, David, and anyone else: I hope I didn't offend you by talking about "bending over backwards for the customer". I understand that there are photographers who need to pay the mortgage and buy the groceries, and it is hard as a photographer. I know if they have a storefront that there are a lot of expenses, and it is hard. I understand that they NEED to book themselves for every available time that they can, and will do what it takes to book them. I was not cutting down this kind of photographer at all. I was just thinking it through... Still wondering if the discount will really draw in that many more poeple.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Kari, personally I didn't take any offense to your comment and I understand that you are thinking it through. I think it helps to get a more realistic view by seeing what the established studios are doing in your area. People that think the bussiness is "Art" do not understand the bussiness.....people that do this for a hobby, do not understand the actual expenses of pro studios operated from a storefront, out of a home or out of their parents basement.

I work in a small hotel in a small resort area. It seems natural to me that prices would swing seasonally. If a couple can plan a modest wedding with a warm honeymoon getaway then more power to them. If you're willing to knock $200 off your usual price and be busy when you'd be idle then it's a good idea. If you have a busy year-'round calendar then don't do it.