New Polarising Filter System for Rangefinders

Someone on the Leica Customer forum posted this link to a unique Kenko

Polarising system for rangefinders that I had never seen before.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/accessories.htm

The Polarisng filters seem alot more expensve that the usual Kenko filters.

Multicoated perhaps?

Anyone bought one of these? Please tell us what you think. Thanks!

I think I'd rather spend the extra money on one that doesn't require the extra step of transfering a setting from the external filter to the filter on the lens. This solution is particularly slow to use since you have to determine the polarizer's position through one "viewfinder", transfer that setting to the lens, and then frame the shot through the camera's viewfinder. The polarizing effect needs to be visible through the camera's viewfinder. I'd rather they used the accessory shoe to mount a polarizer that's viewable through the camera's viewfinder. That would at least eliminate one step.

Leica's solution is still the best, since you're adjusting the polarizer on the lens simultaneously with the polarizer on the viewfinder. No additional steps needed, once it's mounted.

Dear Joel,

I have one on loan from Robert White for review (my wife Frances Schultz is reviewing it for Black and White magazine and I hope to do it for Shutterbug).

I am well impressed. Yes, it is inconvenient to have to view through the 'finder' pola and transfer the number to the lens pola (both are graduated, which accounts for the price -- and of course both are colour-neutral, unlike many cheap polarizers) but it's a relatively economical and very good solution to a basic problem with RF cameras.

Put it this way: I'm going to ask how much they want to let me keep it...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Leica no longer makes their polarizer so it not a 'solution' unless you can get a good used one (costed a fortune last time I looked)

Polarizers tend not to be used in quick response situations so checking then dialling a value will not be that cumbersome for landscapes etc.

If I am wrong (and Leica do still make their polarizer) then let me know and I will buy it.

I have heard of people putting oversized polarizers (77mm or so) onto their lenses with an adaptor but I think the Kenko soulution is more elegant (and probably cheaper)

As new, used Leica polarizers can be found on German eBay. Not cheap, as noted. As Peter said, it is the best polarizer for a rangefinder.

Anyone have any ideas for a rear filter holder for the 15/4.5 C-V lens?

Putting a polarizer there is no fun but that is the only way a polarizer will work with that lens.

Trevor, that's roughly USD 185 plus shipment for the Kenko system including a, say, 55mm polarizer - <br>against USD 136 shipped (plus the cost of a 77mm polarizer) for the <a href="http://www.leicagoodies.com/steps.html">STEPS</a>. The STEPS will include a pouch and all the step-up rings in Leitz lens diameters to make this look-thru VF system universal. Plus the 77mm polarizer will double on most big SLR lenses. Cheers.

Roger, what do you mean they are graduated? Or are you just referring to the vernier scale on them? Are these Multicoated filters? They are alot more expensive that regular Kenko filters. An engraved scale on the outside wouldnt double the price unless they are better than their run of the mill filters I would have thought.

Trevor, if you had looked a bit more, you would have found a Mamiya polarizer (very large) made for the Mamiya 7 from Hong Kong for a B.I.N price of $150. This works exactly like the Leitz one.

BTW, used (good condition) Leitz polarizers go for about $100.

There is one way to use regular polarizer on range finders without using any special

accessory. Use the light meter. First, point the camera at the blue sky, 90 degree from the

sun. This is the position where the polarizing effect is maximum. Now set the aperture

according to the light meter. Next, turn the polarizer ring until you get the most under

exposure. This is the ring position where the polarizing effect is at its maximum. If you want

less polarizing effect, turn the ring in either direction, say for 45 degrees for half the effect.

I have the Kenko system and it is an okay solution. A significant design flaw is that the viewer that sits on the camera turns 360 degrees while the vernier marks are 180 degrees. This is a PITA because 50% of the time you are off scale and must reset it to zero and carefully start again.

Personally, the old way of turning the filter itself for maximum underexposure is not a bad way to go. But the Kenko system does work and would be greatly improved with a better designed and more robust finder.

Dear Joel,

Yes, I meant that they have a scale on them (not a true Vernier, though). Only when you queried it did I realize my statement was open to misinterpretation. A classic example of 'Well, I knew what I meant...'

Sorry,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

The Leica solution it's still the best, ok, but it's very pricey. I think that Kenko solution it's very brilliant, reliable and easy to use idea, usable with many rangefinder camera systems, medium format too, and with several lenses, thanks to extendend filter adapter rings range. I like very mutch the Kenko solution.

Ciao

Vincenzo Maielli Italy

Trevor-

The shoe is all plastic. Probably not that easy to break, but the lever arm with the large viewfinder makes it easier to damage. I am not saying this is a 'fatal flaw', but merely noting that it is not perfect; but it the best present solution for a polarizer.

The viewfinder is quite big and hence easy to use. I will take some detailed pics tonight and post them here.