people nervous about having photo taken

ernie_targonski

Although my main interest is nature photography, I find myself more

and more taking a camera with me while doing other things. "Street"

photograhy and general photograhy is becoming more of an interest.

Something has happened to me a couple times now, and I just wanted to

know if it happens to anybody else.

Sometimes people get defensive about having their picture taken, or

being included in a shot. I've actually had a guy and his son come up

to me and ask if I was some kinda "weirdo". Now, looking back on the

situation, I could maybe see his concern, but I was taking a shot of

a building as they were walking by. I've also had people come up to

me and ask why I'm taking pictures of them.... and when I explain my

shot, they get a look as if they don't believe me.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance

PS, I'm not using any big white Canon L lenses or any scary looking

camera stuff. I usually use an old Nikon FG with 50mm for street

stuff as I find it so much easier than my nature rig.

It happens. People are generally paranoid, and some are particularly sensitive (justifiably or not) about having their picture taken. How many 'family gathering' pictures do you have with someone covering their face or ducking around a corner? Just politely explain what you're doing, and known when to 'fold' and make a quiet exit.

<<< Sometimes people get defensive about having their picture taken, or being included in a shot. >>>

Had a little old woman chew me out because she thought I was photographing her house from the street. She was impossible to deal with, as she screamed and slammed her front door, refusing to listen to any explanation, and threatening to call the police. I wasn't worried, I was on public land, and I wasn't photographing her house anyway. I finished with what I was doing, took my time, and moved on when I was done - about an hour later. Probably helped that her next-door neighbor invited me into their yard to talk. The little old lady - I never saw her again.

<<< I've actually had a guy and his son come up to me and ask if I was some kinda "weirdo". >>>

You weren't, were you?

I'd have politely explained that they *may* have accidentally walked into a photo you took of the building, but the photo is of the building, and not of them. You may need to re-take it now, because you didn't want them in the photo either. Explain that the odds are good they aren't even in the photo.

Then you can explain that you're a tourist from X, and that the architecture in their city is fantastic. By then, if you can carry off the above with confidence, they may be welcoming you to their city and pointing out other fine buildings for you to shoot.

Otherwise, if you have the opp. to establish some rapport before the camera is at your face, most people I've run into aren't really camera-shy. Darnedest thing was shooting a natural hot springs in Colorado this summer, with 3 adults in it. One nude, other two in swimsuits. We talked about the beauty of the place, that I was on vaca - and then I asked if they'd mind me taking photos. No problems for them, no problems for me. Though I was very careful about how I composed (to hide the nudity), and told them what I was doing as I did it.

I use an old TLR, which often makes friends and invites conversation without any prompting by me. And since the camera is at my waist, nobady worries.

All will have to believe that I am no "weirdo".....at least no "weirder" than anybody else.

As I check out all of the great shots in this forum, most with people in them seemingly not careing they are being photographed.... I wondered if anybody had the same experiences as I.

Thanks for all the replys.

Sure Ernie, lots of us have had run ins from time to time. Most people are cool with your photographing them. Some however, can be testy. I usually keep walking when someone says something or even gives a dirty look. I try not to be combative and I try to be as respectful of the people I photograph as I can be. Most persons either don't care if they walked into your shot (either they are not aware or they don't care that they loused up you shot.) or they are contrite because they think they walked into your picture.

Many people feel forced to say yes often, at work, etc. even when they don't want to but feel pressure to yield. When a photog is involved, this is their op to say no. That is why they act the way they do.

I've found this true in my wedding work. In my mind, I just say its your friend's wedding not mine. I'm hired to do this and if you don't wish to be included that is your problem, and I'm happy to move on.

My favorite thing is wildlife and nature, may sound weird, but it is so right because there are no people. However, I try to travel as much as possible these days and IMO travel photo and street photo goes hand in hand. I confess, I'm the shy one. I'm not good at getting close to people and that's why I consider myself not being good at street photo'phy. However I found out s'thing that works for me and helps me quite a lot. I also try to take the photo without drawing subject's attention. However, what matters is what happens after that. If he/they notice me after photo was taken, I usually wink at them or show them thumbs up, tell them thanks, anything, just to show them they were great before they have chance to tell me off. I think that's the advantage of being close to them, you can't really do that if you are far and shooting with tele ( you look rather like private detective). I can't say it works 100%, but usually it does. As I've read other posts about street photo, many people argued if it's legal or not, just to take s'body's picture and publish it. I believe it's always worth to check it out in every country. And everybody should have some sense for situation. I wouldn't take picture of federal building in the US, especially not these days, nor take the picture of muslin women anywhere in the world ( and if you do, you gotta be sure you are damn good or damn fast). These are extreme examples, but... I didn't get into conflict yet so it's probably waiting for me pretty soon. If it happens I let you know if this winking stuff was any good;-) Or I'll just pack my stuff and go back to the forest. No conflicts there.....Peter

i had a guy, who walked BEHIND me while i took a photo, claim he was in the photo. he wanted the roll of film (sorry, no) or some money. he told me a story of some guy who was on the same block the day before and got his ass kicked and all his stuff ripped off. i got the point.

since i was in a rather rough block i told him i had to go to the atm. so we walk together out of the block to a better street. then he introduces himself and asks my name! i had cash on me so i gave him about $8...whatever...I was a bit nerve wracked at the time, but i think i kept my wits and the situation ended alright.

the photo i took didn't even turn out.