Where does everyone have film processed?

A photographer at a seminar that I went to mentioned Mpix but on the

site someone said that they have bad scanning. Does any here use

Mpix? I really hate to have pictures processed at a local lab and

have to pay for 4x6 prints that I don't really want.

Thanks!

I use the local photo lab rather than those 'minilab' places, which are not really labs at all. My local shop will develop my film and skip the proofs if I request it. When I want prints from them, they work with me to get the results I want and I am always happy with their work. Oh, they do a great job with 2-hour E-6 processing as well, cut or uncut, 35mm or 120.

If mail out is your only option, I would suggest A and I (www.aandi.com). I used them for a number of years when I still shot Kodachrome and they were always very professional and had quick turn around times.

- Randy

C-41 I do at a local drugstore that has their minilab in a glass room with big HEPA filters to keep out dust. E-6 at a small pro-lab in town with a dip & dunk processor and same-day service. B&W I process myself on my kitchen counter (I load the daylight tank in a bathroom with no windows).

<br /><br />

All of these I can get develop only.

I don't have a local pro lab (that I trust), and won't use the mini-labs because of bad past experiences. Lately, I've been sending my film to A&I (www.aandi.com). The turn around time is very fast (5 days, there and back, from NY via first class mail), and the results are excellent. There is, of course, a downside: expense. They charge ~$6.50/roll for C-41 processing with no proofs (I don't want the proofs anyway). The last order I sent was 4 C-41 rolls, and ended up being ~$32 after shipping.

Start with the closest minilab to your daily path. Look around their machine and make sure they don't let junk pile up. See if the staff looks like they care about what they're doing or if they're more focused on their latest body piercing. Then ask them for the price to process only. If you get a dumb stare, ask to speak to the manager (which may mean calling him on the phone). They should be able to give you your film back rolled up or sleeved in standard strips of four.

Mostly it's a matter of getting to know the folks and learning what you have to tell them at the counter. You may have to learn their system enough to point to a box on the envelope and say "write NO PRINTS there" and then tell them the price.

As long as they handle film carefully and maintain their chemistry there's no reason a minilab can't do exactly what you want. Just don't expect them to try anything fancy. I think it's worth a great deal to have a convenient and reliable place to get this done. On the other hand, for me that's meant that I do it myself. As far as I know, I'm the only one running E-6 in a 25-mile radius.

Van

All my B&W film is processed at home. The little bit of color film that I do shoot usually goes to the local big box type drugstore to get negatives only for about $3. I'll scan the negatives, decide which I want to print, then do a proper scan and preparation for output by a commercial service using a lightjet type machine which produces RA-4 (not inkjet) prints. If that sort of workflow doesn't work for you, I can suggest two mail order labs. Dale labs in Florida has done good work for me in the past and I would not hesitate to use them again. Find them here: <BR><a href=http://www.dalelabs.com>http://www.dalelabs.com</a> <BR> Another alternative which a friend of mine uses and likes is Clark Color Labs. They are a bit less expensive than Dale Labs. The results I've seen from this company are good, though I've never used them myself. Find them here: <BR><a href=http://www.clarkcolor.com/>http://www.clarkcolor.com/</a>