SB800 and Quantum Battery

todd1664878707

You still need the AA batteries in the flash to power up the electronics for exposure/flash control. The High Voltage Turbos only power the flash section. Nikon sells a small, 8 AA battery powered external pack. It's much smaller and lighter than the most of the Turbo batteries, but because it has a HV output will give a faster recycle time than using internal AA batteries.

I use a Quantum Turbo or 2x2 with an SB-800. This is an high-voltage unit (325 vdc) which plugs into the front of the flash with a special cable. As a result, the recycling time is very fast (<2 sec) and the flash more consistent. It is a real plus for use at a wedding or event.

As noted, you must have AA batteries in place to power the SB-800 controls and camera interface. You get at least 400 full power pops, and many more under typical usage. The SD8a works the same way, but is dedicated to Nikon. The Quantum pack works with my T4d and some Photogenic monolights.

Quantum and others make battery replacement packs. These are connected to an adapter that fits into the battery compartment. They are a waste of time, IMO - no faster recycling than standard NiMH AA's, and a PITA to connect and disconnect.

Somehow from the prior resposes I got an impression (perhaps incorrect ?) that Nikon SB-8A works the same way as the Quantum 2X2 (or whatever high and low voltage Quantum model - that is why model 2 + 2, since the low and high voltage battery sections exist in Quantum, both rechargeable at the same time).

Since someone already stated that, please, confirm that Nikon SB-8A has high voltage battery output, since I could not find any information verifying that.

I believe that Nikon model just has more AA baterries and does not have any low DC to high DC voltage converter built into the unit. It uses the low DC to high DC converter that is built into SB-800. That could justify the lower price of the Nikon unit.

Personally, I would hope that Nikon SB-8A does provide high battery output for SB-800, and that would make SB-8A comparable to Quantum Hi Volt models, otherwise it not a match.

Frank,

Why would I be concerned about a high voltage output of the Nikon SD-8A? I checked out Moose Peterson's review as suggested and it was very helpfull. He claims that it gives about the same recycle time with about 20% more flashes. It's half the weight of the Quantum units and 1/4 the price. Check out his review <a href="http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/SD8a.html"> here. </a>

Todd,

I guess I am just picky, so forgive me, as I am quite satisfied with the SB-800 as it is now with 5 AA batteries.

But for some sporting events, with CLS multiple flash working in Continuos shooting mode, faster recycling is essential.

If you look at SB-800 auxiliary external power input socket, one pin has an ingravement next to it in plastic showing an arrow. This is the high voltage pin that allows directly load about 330 Volts DC into SB-800 capacitor, and bypassing the low voltage to high voltage converter built into SB-800. This provides much faster recycling without putting extra stress on SB-800 electronics (except the flash tube).

The difference will be more abvious (like night and day) when the AA batteries get a bit depleted, (I believe Moose Peterson missed this one in his test - perhaps tested only fresh batteries).

Saying that Quantum model that provides both high and low voltages (and costs much more) works the same way as the Nikon low voltage model is not technically or practically correct.

The SB-8A has a HV output. You can tell by the connector which plugs into the HV connector on the flash.

If I didn't have Turbo "classic" batteries, I'd be most inclined to get the Turbo C. It attaches to the tripod socket under the camera and can power both the camera and flash. The tether connection to the external battery can get to be a PIA.

I have Some Quantum Q lights and the Turbo batteries. If I wanted to power a SB800 flash from a HV source I would just have to buy the right cord. If I didn't have the Turbos and just wanted faster recycling on the flash the SB-8A is fine and doesn't cost much. The nice thing abot the Turbo C is that you can power both the camera and flash without being attached to the rig. For a camera like the D200, which doesn't have great battery life, it would be nice to do a whole wedding without having to swap batteries for anything.

"The SB-8A has a HV output." That is good news.

However, what you say: "You can tell by the connector which plugs into the HV connector on the flash." - this just does not prove it.

That SB-800 auxiliary external power source has high voltage pin, and also has low voltage pins, so it does not prove that SB-8A has high voltage just by plugging it there.

Can you hear a humming noise from operation of SB-8A that is usually associated with a low Volt DC to High DC volt converter circuit operation ?

Frank,

The Quantum 2x2, C and possibly others can provide 12vdc to power various DSLR's with the proper cable set, at the same time providing high voltage to the flash. I don't bother with Nikon D2's because the battery life is so good, nor with a D1x because it's easier to carry a couple of spare batteries than have all those cables dangling.

The SD8a is high-voltage only, so you still need AA batteries in the SB800. There is an additional connection to the PC port on the camera, for what reason I do not know. If I didn't have the Quantum packs, I would consider getting one of these.

You always get what you pay for... also true in the case of Quantum Turbo, or Nikon SD-8A.

According to Quantum terminology, Nikon's SD-8A is not a high voltage unit.

How Quantum HV battery works: It gets charged for 4 hours (Turbo model) or for 3 hours (Turbo 2 x 2). When baterry is charged, it contains the high voltage DC power already, regardless if it was turned On or Off, or if it was connected to flash or not. It holds ready to load into the flash capacitor after connecting to the flash.

Once you turn On the Quantum and your flash, Quantum merely loads high voltage from own internal battery to flash capacitor, without any voltage conversion needed. The recycle time is therefore very short, since the voltage converion is not necessary. The recycle time is not dependent that much on the depletion of AA battery like in case of Nikon SD-8A. Quantum battery shuts off more rapidly, when is out of energy.

Nikon's SD-8A is a low voltage battery device, and only produced high voltage when it is turned ON. The converter converts low voltage to high voltage when it operates and loads flash capacitor with high voltage. Once you turn Off SD-8A - the voltage converter stops working, and there is no high voltage present anywhere in the SD-8A. So this is low voltage device, per Quantum terms.

SD-8A perhaps uses just a bit stronger voltage converter, when comparing to SB-800 flash, takes more AA cells, and therefore gets faster recycling, but the voltage conversion takes place during each cycle, and gets worst with AA battery depletion.

SD-8A costs 1/3 the price of Quantumm high voltage battery model, for the reason explained already, and that is: Nikon SD-8A is a low voltage device - about the same as the SB-800 flash, just a bit stronger. Mainly SD-8A does not take advantage of direct loading high voltage to flash capacitor, and does not shortens recycle time by bypassing the voltage conversion step, because it simple cannot.

SD-8A has 3 secs recycle with alkaline batterries, 2 secs with NiCd batteries, and takes longer with battery depletion. None of such behaviour is present in Quantum high voltage batteries.

The Quantum Turbo has an 8 VDC battery. I know because I've ordered and changed them in my Turbos. The battery feeds a DC-DC step up converter. This is no different than the Nikon unit. The Quantum will provide more flashes since the battery has greater capacity (2.7 - 3.2 AH depending on the brand of battery). The Quantum also probably gives a shorter recycle time. Both the Nikon and Quantum supply a high voltage to the flash.

I rented a Quantum for use with my SB-800 for a wedding a few months ago. Worked great. Quick recharges for more than 500 photos. It even provided consistent exposures at 3 fps and faster (partial discharges). Nice not having to worry about batteries for several hours. Heavy tho'.

I'm looking forward to trying the SD-8A at a local shop to compare recharge times.

Sorry, I though that the old and fast flash technology was preserved somewhere, and by Quantum. The cost and other implications are prohibitive. The batteries system that I used are no longer available. I damaged quite a few xenon fubes with them, no wonder they are gone. Actually I damaged many xenon tubes while prototyping various flash systems, and pushing them well beyond rated parameters.

Reading from an old documentation, it was something like this: "The High Volt battery consists of 40 modules, each module consists of six 1.2 volt cells with a total voltage over 300 volts".

BTW, greater care is needed when using a flash like the SB-800 with a battery like the Quantum Turbo. Because the Turbo enhances recycling there's a temptation to fire away liberally. The flash needs to rest and cool down periodically. The SB-800 instruction manual specifies how many consecutive discharges can be made before a cool-down period is needed.

• 1 year later...

I have 2 SB-800/SD-8a combos and I find that they work flawlessly. I love the light weight and I experience a recycle time of 2 sec. consistently. I only use 2500 mAh Ni-MH batteries in both the SB-800 and the SD-8a in order to ensure the best recycle times and when the next best thing in AA's comes along (2800 mAh or more) I can easily upgrade my battery pack to the higher capacity batteries.

I really like the nice looking and very functional black belt pouch (great for weddings) that comes with it (very convenient) or you can screw it into the tripod mounting hole (rather awkward because of the width of the pack). The battery pack also has a channel through one end so that you could string a strap thru to enable carrying it over your shoulder or hanging it from a light stand or tripod.

You can frequently pick one up for under $100 on ebay. If you do shop ebay don't get the SD-8 as it will not work with the SB-800 because it has a different HV Plug (works with SB-24/26 type plugs) - I know my SB-28 uses the new plug. By the way, there is no on/off switch on the SD-8a - it is on from the time you plug it in.

And finally, I really like the security of knowing that if, for some reason my extra supply of batteries gets depleted or fails (batteries do fail occationally and usually at the worst time possible) I can always load it up with Alkaline batteries to get me through (although the recycle time goes down at least I have light).

By the way, if you are able to pick one up on ebay - as I did, it is a pretty cheap way to try it out for yourself.

I hope you find this helpful.

• 1 month later...

If I get the Nikon cord from the SD-8A, can I use a 6v battery pack such as radio shack,etc?

Or does the SD-8A actually have some electronics in it other than just a battery holder?

Has anyone opened one up to see?

Is the output actually high voltage, or just a larger amp hour pool than the 4 or 5 on board batteries?

The SD-8A is impossible to find, but the cord is $45 direct from Nikon and in stock as of 7/19/07.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1 year later...

Todays date: 12-05-2008 09:35 am: Atlanta, Georgia:

I had two turbo 2x2's And one of the had a melt down while it was charging. I came home and smelled the terrible

smell of melted burnt plastic battery smell. Needless to say that one was shot.

This thing could have caused a fire in my house. I emailed quantum and they sent me back a quote to replace the

cells of about 86 dollars. This was a couple of years ago (12/05/08 today). Their response was that because I

bought the units (I bought two) on ebay, they could not honor any warranty repair since I bought them "used." Those

M-F's. Just because their product changed hands they have washed their hands of their obligations to repair their

obviously defective product!!!!!!!!!!!

Really pissed me off. I had spend over 800 bucks, over that buying the two with the cord for the SB-800.

I used it a couple of times. The next time I went to charge it, it melted down.

The other one simply lost its charge ability. I mean the minute you take it off the charge adapter - even if the lights

are reading full charge, and the minute you plug in an SB-800, the lights go to 1.

I re-emailed quantum a couple of weeks ago to re-consider sending them now two downed Quantum 2x2's. By this

time, over a year or so since my last email, they said the price went up to 96 dollars. and that that would not cover

any other repairs to the electronics. They also needed to add that I had purchased them over 26 months ago -

obviously they are keeping track of my emails/me on their system.

So they even volunteered how I bought them off ebay - light ebay is a dirty word.

F' them I blasted them in my last email threatening that I will send letter to the president of their company illustrating

my contempt as to their failure to be more concerned of their product melting down - It's F'ing defective, I didn't melt

that thing down. this thing could have burned my house down and they have the time to raise their fees each time I

email them for clarification on the cost of the repairs? Almost telling me that i had them over 26 months, bought

them on ebay - they are almost demanding that I buy new ones.

They had the odasity to add that their repairs would be warranteed for only 90 days. So now, after that I would have

spend over 500 dollars per unit, and they had the odasity to only recognize their product for 90 days!!!!!!!!!

A-holes.

Lastly, I will add I have taken pictures of my melted down unit, and threatened - in my letter to Quantum's president

and CEO's and - shareholders if possible, that I will also be adding a youtube video review of this melted down

DEFECTIVE -design or product. Man, I am so pissed and their smug way of just sitting back and raising their repair

rates, calling Ebay a "dirty word" and only allowing a ninety day warranty after that.

I can't wait.

Bottom line thought, I'll mostly likely go ahead and have them - replace the defective one - or replace the cell for 100

plus and then most likely replace the other cell in the other one. When I get them back I'll either use them, or just

sell the on ebay as "refurbished - still under waranty" and buy the SD-8a's . I too like the idea of being in control of

the batteries, also I don't do much high speed photography, out doors, or on location - if I did I would just bring the

strobes. What I'll use the SD-8a for is like location stuff, in the woods, back alley, or in a garden or something.

MikesMultiMedia.com

Good luck. If I new these SD-8a's were out a couple of years ago, I would have bought them instead of the 430 dollar

Quantum 2x2's I have now.

The dual power ports, one for your flash the other for your camera crap is bull-sxxt. Because of the cords, allready

your entagled with the SB-800 cord using the quantum 2x2's The cord is sixty dollars or so, and you still need the

other custom power cord for your Nikon camera or what ever.

Yes, I'll grant it the Quantum 2x2's are interchangeable with other flashes - just buy another cable. But, you know

what, how many people jump manufacturer ship like that with their equipment either your canon or nikon, and you

stick with it - for financial efficiency unless your well off.

Be sure to check out http://www.MikesMultiMedia.com/quantum2x2 link from time to time. When I get the video's

and review of my defective meltdown story online it will jump from that link accordingly.

• 11 months later...

<p>But back to the OP's question re: the Nikon SD-8A (and hopefully someone can address it without overselling the device): Does it have an invertor circuit contained in the powerpack to output 330VAC to directly power the flash capacitor or does it use the DC to AC invertor in the SB800?<br>

Reason for asking, I already have 2 Quantum Turbo 2x2's and these definitely use 330VAC to bypass the transformer built into the flash to power the HV capacitor directly. As a wildlife photographer I find the QT2X2's while expensive are effective at what they do. One of these things is that they recycle either my Sunpak 422D's and SB800's in not more than one second, from a full pop. (Being that SB800's are over $300 apiece and that fast-recycling them can easily fry them, dirt-cheap used Sunpaks are preferable for most of my uses whenever I don't need iTTL. Too, the SB800's when connected via the HV port to the QT2X2 still whine with a high-pitched frequency that's near the limit of adult human hearing but animals easily detect and will avoid. Fortunately Sunpaks connected to the QT2x2 don't suffer this invertor whine).<br>

I'm light-trapping with remote sets and would like several more for remote cameras but the $600/ea cost new of the QT2x2's is a bit prohibitive, particularly if there's a device at 1/4 the cost that will do what I need with minor hacking.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I'm trying to find a way to use an old Quantum Battery with an SB-800, and found this forum most enlightening. But I write to respond more specifically to the angry member who had a bad experience with Quantum. I've had several dealings with Quantum dating back several years (I also have a Q-Flash with an old Turbo battery I recently had repaired), and my experience with them has been truly outstanding. I've been able to get through to them without a long wait, and they have in every instance (by phone or email) been extraordinarily patient and helpful. I'm not challenging a single word the other member said, and assume he is accurately expressing his frustration from an unfortunate experience. But my own experience with Quantum has been very much to the contrary. Their prices aren't cheap, but the quality is great and the customer service from my experience has been outstanding.<br>

- Bob</p>