reconsidering. The AF 20 2.8 looks to be a good option giving me, I

believe, a 30mm and 75mm in DSLR. I am not too big of a zoom fan

and like to keep lenses to a minimum. Has anyone had experience

with the AF 20 2.8 or this combination? I am also open to

suggestions. This is a pretty big purchase for me and the 20 is on

the upper end of my budget.

Thanks,

Casey

Casey, the 20mm is a great lens with the D70. The D70 will not light meter with the 24mmAIS but still for landscapes or architecture its quite nice. With the 20, 24 and 50 you only need e.g. an 85AFD F1.8 and you are all set. On the other hand you will find hundreds of threads here in PN recommending the kit lens as a good deal. Not a tough decision - you cant really go wrong - its more a question of personal preference.

Get the *kit* lens of the 18-70mm. I didn't and used my 24-85mm D, which is an excellent lens but I borrowed a 18-70mm AF-S from a freind and then bought one myself a week later. Its a an excellent lens but will cause vigenetting on a FF film camera.

I love zoom lenses. I can not be handicapped with a fixed focal lenght anymore. Reminds me of high school PHOTO 101.

Casey, you might want to read a not-so-recent <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EtSD>praise of the 20/2.8</a>... It's my most used lens, hands down. Feel free to peruse my mountain shots, they are almost all taken with that lens.

<p>

I am coming from a FM2N w/ the 20/2.8 and the 50/1.4 and the kit lens was a horrible experience. I learnt to use the 20/2.8 with the 1.5x factor, and like it a lot. My

second most used lens is a 50mm even though I'm taking some time to get used to the 1.5x factor.

<p>

I repeat, the kit lens does not live up to those two.