How is this shot lit/filtered?

ristic

Hi Everyone,

I hope I am linking to this persons photo correctly...

This is what I would love to achieve. I love this shot.

Can you help me understand:

1. How is the shot filtered

2. How is it lit (single reflector up and to the right - what

type/colour/size would it be?)

Thanks everyone!

Peter

The colour from the flash looks like its been gel'd to be more yellow, how do you put a gel on to a beauty dish (or a softbox for that matter). My beauty dish fits straight onto the flash heads with no room in between. Do you just cover the whole dish/softbox with gel and if so how do you secure it?

<I>How is this shot lit/filtered? </I><P>HAve you even considered asking the

pephotographer who made the photo how he did it? Or better yet, if he would like to

contribute to this discussion?<P>

<I>The colour from the flash looks like its been gel'd to be more yellow, how do you put a

gel on to a beauty dish (or a softbox for that matter). My beauty dish fits straight onto the

flash heads with no room in between. Do you just cover the whole dish/softbox with gel

and if so how do you secure it?</I><P>Rosco and Lee make large rolls of lighting gel

filtration. Up to about 42" wide. You buy a large enough piece and use Gaffer tape or

clothes pins to secure it to the beauty dish or any other kind of hard reflector or softbox.

Yo unever put a piece of gel right up against the flash tube / modeling light assembly of a

powerful flash. A lot of heat is generaed and you need some air space between the gel and

the flash tube and modeling light for the heat to dissipate. <P>A big softbox is definitely

not being used: the light quality, the hard edge of the shadow and the light fall off pattern

show that something like a beauty dish or some other kind of specular reflector is being

used. Looking atthe photograph a third time I'm having my doubts that even a beauty dish

was being used. It could be somethign as common as a Canon 580EX or Nikon SB800

Speedlight.I also have my doubts that the light was gel'd in the first place. The overall

color could be from a filter on the camera or from a global color balance alteration in

Photoshop. Looking at the ray pattern from around the sun indicates that a very small f-

stop was used. It is quite likely that the ambient light level was deliberately 2 stop (more

or less) under the light level for the flash. Flash power alone can determine aperture (f-

stop) setting. The photographer chooses a shutter speed high enough thta the ambient

light would be partially underexposed. Find out what combination f shutter-speed and

aperture works best for a specific subject, ambient situation and desired effect by

testing.<P>Albert Watson and Hiro are masters of this kind of dramatic, cinematic style of

lighting.

It's mostly just exposure.The background is underexposed probably at least 3 stops, maybe more to bring the sun and water down.It's also possible that there could be a slight gradation filter on the lens,although I don't think so because of the gradient in the sky line, that would be darkening her hair also.The front light is a flash in either a small dish or box.Hard to tell without looking at the catchlights.Color is warmed up.Background may also have been darkened and toned in Photoshop.Main thing is UNDEREXPOSE Background( in this case with shutter speed)and use flash for proper exposure in front

Ellis,

While I appreciate your detailed response, I would like to ask you

"Have you ever thought to read the links that someone posts?"

I already asked the photographer... but thought I would ask here also because more than one person may want to know the technique... but thanks for throwing that useless comment in anyway.

Peter.

<I>While I appreciate your detailed response, I would like to ask you "Have you ever

thought to read the links that someone posts?"</I> <P>Yes Peter: I looked at the

three links that were in posts that preceded my answer. None of those links answered your

question and there were no

shoot details listed in either the comments or details section for the image you asked

about. I was answering your question to

the best of my ability, so I stand by my answer.

Peter... Are you always such a d**k to people who help you figure out how to rip off a cliche? What is your freaking problem? Ellis just gave you 10 years, no more like 30 years of experience in three paragraphs and you complain about it? I know I'll never (again) waste MY time on your questions/threads. You've just cut the nose off your own face... t

Jonathan,

No response from the original poster... not yet anyway.

Ellis,

My problem was with the way you asked your first question... 'Did you even consider

asking' I took that as an insult. Yes there were no answers in the threads but you were not

referring to that, you were referring to something that if you maybe put another way

would have been different.

Ellis, I meant no offense to you, I simply wanted to let you know you offended me a little.

Tom,

I was offended by the way Ellis said 'Did you even consider asking..." If you re-read the

post I actually thanked Ellis for the 10 (oh no, 30 years) of assistance he gave me... I just

wanted to let him know not to be rude and that I was upset by the comment.

You dont have to help me if you dont want to. I only hope that you would read the

responses and see them for what they are... I have never offered negative advice or

deliberately offended anyone.

If I hear from you again, wonderful... if I am not worth your time no problem I dont loose

much.

Peter.

PS: While this is going on, I am not sure if I thanked the others who responded... so

thanks.

Hi Ellis, Tom,

Well, I guess I should firstly apologise to Ellis. As I said I didnt mean to offend you. I thanked (and still thank) you for your detailed response. I ALWAYS appreciate the time and effort that someone puts into replying to me. I respect that... so I hope you didnt mis-understand why I got upset. It was because you made it sound like I didnt do any research before posting. (But it still shouldnt have upset me)

Tom, you are right. I seem to have been affected by some sort of 'over-sensitive' bug. I am normally very thick skinned and dont take offense to much... but I truly wanted more people to learn from this thread than just me... but dont call me a d**k (even if I am behaving like one)... tell me to pull my head in, no problem... I should.

So both of you, please accept my apology for starting something that shouldnt have been started. I am man enough to say sorry when I am being silly... I hope its water under the bridge.

You are both extremely valuable members of the Photo.Net forum and I honestly respect that. You have contributed much more than I have.

Humbly,

Peter Ristic.

No problem, Peter. I tend to respond "in kind", and also have a tendancy

to defend Ellis, as he has helped me tremendously over the years and many others

as well. I don't want him to go away in a huff.<p>

Thanks for your good natured response... well the second one, anyway. Good luck with the girls on the beach... t

hello to all,

I took that pictures with two flash Bowens (1000 watt/s)posing in my right side, the power was switched on total 2000 watt.

I used moreover a filter neutral density warm grey, because the sun was too strong and so to have the lense colosed at F 16 or 22 ( I don't remember exactly)

I not used the softbox, because I needed full power to underexposure the background.

this is all.

wishes

maurizio

• 1 year later...