Paris trip

david_l3

I'm leaving for Paris for a 7 day trip in two days. I'm not necessarily asking where to go or what to

photograph. To keep this on topic I plan to take my M6, M4, 35mm Summilux, 50mm Summicron, 90mm

Elmarit-M, Digisix meter, and 12 rolls each Velvia and HP5+ and three rolls Fujicolor 1600. Do I have too

little? Too much? I'll be around the city and at a live music concert. What are your experiences and

suggestions? Thanks.

I shot 20 rolls in 10 days. Medium format, though. 16 shots per roll.

You'll be more than fine.

If you're shooting 35mm - as you are - it might be a good idea to bring some NPH400 (fuji). It has nice low grain and very accurate color. Or the Fuji Provia 400F (also accurate color). Having only ISO 1600 C41 seems kind of limiting. You have the Velvia, but that is too slow to shoot most street stuff handheld at smaller apertures.

Well, maybe at Versailles Velvia would be interesting, and some of the parks. But otherwise, the contrast is not going to help you, while it is a city of light, it is also a city of shadows. Also, lots of grey stone buildings, which Velvia won't flatter. Something tamer for your E-6 film, like Astia or E100GX?

It's also a pedestrian city (and the Metro), are you sure you want to tote all that around all day? Not the best place to leave one camera in your hotel room...

I'm with John. Plenty of cloudy days in Paris, so you will be better served by Provia 100 or 400 rather than Velvia.

Paris is a walking city, so bring a very comfortable pair of shoes. Given that you will walk quite a bit, I'd also drop the 90mm unless you're positive that you will use it for at least 25% of your shots. If anything, I'd go wider for those narrow streets (21/24/28). Have a fun safe trip !

It doesn't hurt to bring more film. You can always leave extra film in your hotel, so it won't take up space. It's expensive over there, like everything else.

You could bring a 21 mm/24 mm to shoot interiors and buildings from the outside. Sometimes the streets are so narrow you can't back up enough to use a 35 mm.

Consider bringing a pocket-size flash. I have one that takes two AA batteries and is smaller than a pack of cigarettes. This expands your options at night (unless you want to rewind your film halfway and slot in your 1600 film every night).

You could also bring along a mini pod such as the Ultrapod II or The Red Pod, and a short cable release. This will expand your options at night, or even in the day for increased depth of field of sights.

Paris weather can be fickle, last summer was extremely hot and sunny, however I've

also been there in the summer when its been cool and cloudy. If you like print film, a

few rolls of Fuji Superia 400 may be useful in case you want more speed or latitude.

Last year I took my m5 for color (Reala and Superia) and an m6 for BW, with a

summicron 35 and an elmar-M 50 for lenses.

I also took a Leica IIc with a Summitar loaded with BW for something classic; Paris is

Paris, after all. During the day I had the m5 and IIc, and at night only the m6. Carrying

two bodies is not a big deal and I'm a minimalist when it comes to focal lengths.

It all depends on how much film you shoot. If it were me, I would take a few more

rolls of BW and Velvia. 12 rolls is about 1.75 rolls a day; I could very easily shoot that

in half a day just walking along the Seine or people watching in Luxembourg Gardens.

Eat and drink well and have a great trip.

Been there, done that. What I learned: carry as little equipment as possible. Don't drive

yourself crazy zipping back and forth between B/W and color. Choose one or the other,

take one body and one lens, and concentrate on making pictures, not on swapping out

equipment. You'll move around more easily, you'll force yourself to see pictures because

you're completely focused on working within creative boundaries, and you will be far more

consistent in your results. The only equipment I would add: a lightweight tripod. Stick with

400 ISO. If the concert is on a stage, if you aren't in the first two rows, you'll be shooting

snapshots with anything less than a 250mm lens. If the concert is in a club, then your

more modest lens (50mm or 35mm being most versatile) would be best (along with the

tripod and permission of the club manager to shoot from a favorable spot for part of the

concert).

Think smaller. Paris will be there. If the pictures are fabulous, you will return.

Currently it's really sunny over Paris, no cloud, pure blue sky... and I've just loaded HP5 in my R6.2... don't make the same mistake !

Before the concert, if you visit Paris, use a 12-views ISO 100/200 roll, so you'll be able to put a more sensible film for the concert.

I just came back from Paris, spent there 5 days from 22 to 27 May, the weather was partly cloudy but perfect for walking around, not too hot. I carried no Leica this time, just a Hexar AF, an SLR and a DSLR body, 5 lenses, 9 rolls of E100GX, and it was definitely too much equipment; I should have known, since I visit Paris pretty frequently. I realized it on the second day of my stay and mostly left the extra weight in my hotel room. Camera bag, tripod, a shift lens and the film SLR were not used at all. One camera hanging on my left handwrist, the Hexar and an extra lens in my raincoat pockets was all I needed. Never underestimate the stairs and long walks in the metro stations, good shoes are essential. <p>

I ended up burning 3 rolls of film and 550 digital pictures, some of the latter being duplicates of the former ;-)))<p>

Howard gave you good advice: <i>carry as little equipment as possible</i>. Lack of a 'complete' lens lineup is by no means restrictive, even a 'one camera, two lens approach' can liberate you. Summarizing: You are nevertheless right in taking the two bodies and the three lenses. Use one body and the 35/50 combo during the day, take the 90 only to the concert. Do not think too much about film, I have always had too many rolls (or used too little) but never used more than two kinds at a time (one colour slide, one B&W). Have fun, and spend a lot on dinner. It costs but it is worth it.

Another advice on film: Contrasts are rather high in Paris, I wound not take Velvia. I used Velvia exclusively on a Paris trip in the early nineties, when I was in love with its saturation, and fifteen years later the pictures of that trip look awkward. I blocked too many shadows. If you insist on Fujichrome, use Astia. Otherwise E100GX is perfectly fine. <br>

And HP5 is the only B&W material I ever used in Paris. It fits.

Thanks very much to all for the useful suggestions and tips. You make this forum worthwhile. I think the 90mm will stay home and probably the M4. I always prefer to travel light and it rarely affects my ability to take the pictures I want. Film is where I don't shortchange myself. Color or b&w choice will depend on each day's outlook for activities. I'm meeting my musician girl friend there and expect to see a lot of the area. Thanks again for your helpful inputs.

If you are set on taking both B&W and Colour, I'd load the M4 with the HP-5 and the M6 with the color. You really need a wider lens than the 35mm but at this late date take what you got. I use the 24, 35, and 85/90mm line up when I travel and I take a 21mm CV lens on a IIIf body as well. The 28mm VC f/1.9 will work well with your M6.

If you could leave the colour film behind, then you could just take the M6 body and the 35, 50 & 90. But I always take two bodies, even when just shooting B&W.

I'd take C-41 colour film rather than E6. I've been using the Fuji 1600 lately and at ISO 1250 it's great. Fuji 800 at ISO 640 is also good. The 1600 speed stuff is what you need at the concert.

Rather than Velvia, consider Kodak UC400 which I expose at ISO 250. With the C-41 films you can have your first rolls processed in Paris to see what you got. All these filma (except the 1600 Fuji) are available at Wal-Mart even the UC400.

Good luck and good shooting!

Pickpockets abound (an African gentleman alerted me to one, I physically dealt with another...they're all over). Shoot B&W, think portability. One body.

Velvia's a ghastly idea, usually is. Paris isn't a city of color, except for the overblown, Velvia-like advertising sleeze. It's a city of tones. And screw the live music in color, those shots always make everything look like Columbus, Ohio. Nothing's worse than guys with cameras prancing around the stage, taking away from the pleasure of people who actually appreciate the musicians.

• 1 month later...
Don't fret too much over pickpockets... I travel all over Paris by foot regularly and I DO look like a tourist (running shoes and Leica around my neck) but I've never been annoyed. Basic rule that's good for every place on this planet : if you've never been to the place you're in and you'ge got pricey photo gear around your neck and in your bag pretend you know EXACTLY where you are and you know EXACTLY what you do.